Does COD4 Take Advantage of Multiple Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric1

In Runtime
So I finally got my q6600 today. I was playing COD4 and noticed that it seemed to run better with my q6600. So does COD4 take advantage of multiple processing cores?

I think it does, for dual cores that is. There are very few games, if any at all, that fully support a quad. But that should all change later this year.

COD4 might run slightly better on Quad core than similar clocked dual core. But a fast dual core would be better than slower quad core. For example, COD4 runs better on E8400 than Q6600

I don't understand how people say that games don't take advantage of quad-core cpus... every application and game I've ever run is spread out over 4 cores... or at least, when I run a game, I see all four cores being used, so there's some kind of management of resources, i don't know, but it's not like I only have the first two cores being used... all of them have activity going on no matter what I run

Yea, I think the OS splits everything up on it's own... I do notice sometimes on my dual core that one core is being used slightly less or just slightly more than the other...

Merkwürdigliebe;1333546 said:
I don't understand how people say that games don't take advantage of quad-core cpus... every application and game I've ever run is spread out over 4 cores... or at least, when I run a game, I see all four cores being used, so there's some kind of management of resources, i don't know, but it's not like I only have the first two cores being used... all of them have activity going on no matter what I run

I have a bios setting that lets me choose how data is spread across the cores, aka one at a time or even spread. I keep it on even spread.

It's not as easy as "spreading" the work in the sense of each process, OS will probably spread individual threads/processes among different cores, but one thread won't be split. Individual threads are assigned to a certain core, so only a game that has multiple threads coded can be split among cores. If a thread was spread over multiple cores, there is the problem that they may not be synced, and can cause calculation errors.

Considering CoD4 has been made for consoles, which use multi-cores (3 cores in 360 fro example) I see no reason they wouldn't include multiple-threading in the PC version.

also, even if only 2 of 4 cores are being used, cod4 will use two, and the other two will handle everything else. Therefor, those two cores are used only for cod4, and not for other processes also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom