does anyone remember how many chapters there were in Half-Life 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutly hated On A Rail and Power Up. IMO, they are the worst part of HL1 while "We've Got Hostiles", "Forget About Freeman!" and Interloper are the best parts.
Nah I'm pretty sure Xen and everything after that takes place on the alien planet and if I remember correctly you briefly get this cool jumping suit and it's fun at the start...but then you into this really lame teleportation jumps in which you have to try over and over again and the gravity was screwed up and such I was constantly running out of ammo

Everything in the actual facility was awesome EXCEPT for that one part with the giant tentacles that you couldn't kill and had to somehow dodge

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
Than you are a n00b.

You need to go past the engine and focus on what the game is really about- gameplay. I absolutly hate people that only look at the graphics when their playing games. whoever can say that they can't play old games because the graphics aren't good enough is truly a shameful and sorry excuse for a gamer.

That was a tad harsh. I don't see what the problem is with not playing games that do not match my tastes in terms of graphics. I actually HL in terms of gameplay. I play HL over LAN every so often, and I have a blast. By myself, playing SP, is quite boring. I just guess that I'm different that the "average gamer", seeing as I mostly like eye-candy, but don't get me wrong, gameplay is right up there in the level of importance.

septoid2 said:
Hmm, so I looked up "gamer" on Wikipedia.

Gamer: A gamer is, in a general sense, one who plays games. However, gamers are distinct from simple game players by their devotion to gaming as a hobby: they are game fans. The term is often self-assigned.

So, he plays games right? That makes him a gamer. Done deal. So he doesn't like shitty graphics, thats perfectly fine, he wants better graphics during his gaming experiance, just because he wants to enjoy nice graphics doesn't make him "a sorry pitiful excuse for a gamer". You're the worst kind of gamer yourself, deeming others unfit for gaming and putting others down. I bet you think you're pretty "hardcore". Really, you're just a pompous douche, and I'm seeing lots and lots of gamers like you guys who think you are better then all gamers because you think gaming is some spiritual experiance, when really its just a game, and yeah there are dedicated fanboys and there are just casual gamers, but don't put others down because they have different preferences. It's like saying FPS is for noobs and MMORPG is the only real genre.

Sorry, got a bit angry.

Everything you said in that paragraph is exactly what I think about gamers and games as well. Gaming is getting a little too serious for my likes nowadays, seeing as people only take notice of someone if they have a nice system, a 7800GTX, etc. Nicely said, septoid. :)

omg! i dont remember which chapter it was but it was the one with the Pit.. and where you had to turn both OXygen and Gas on to destroy the Snake creature thing.. and I couldnt find the **** room for like hours on hours looking for it.. and just getting down to the bottom of the pit the stupid thing would SLice me in half everytime

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
Than you are a n00b.

You need to go past the engine and focus on what the game is really about- gameplay. I absolutly hate people that only look at the graphics when their playing games. whoever can say that they can't play old games because the graphics aren't good enough is truly a shameful and sorry excuse for a gamer.

Agree with that, partialy however. The games ARE about gameplay. It's like watching a movie, the good movie is one that makes you sucked into the storyline till the last minute, not the one with best effects. It can has very high level CGI, but if the the plot is boring, such a movie is not much value. Although, I have to admit that loving eye candy graphics or good CGI isn't bad at all. It makes me very upset sometimes while I discover I can't enable high graphic level in current level and must enjoy only a half of a pie.

But what I want to say, that there are great games classics out there (like Half Life, StarCraft, etc.) and they shouldn't be sent to junk just because "they have shitty graphics".

And actually some games do have "spiritual subtext", even though, its "only entertainment" anyway.

And actually some games do have "spiritual subtext", even though, its "only entertainment" anyway.

If you ever find yourself getting attached to a game at that point in life, stop, turn off your computer, and go see a doctor.

homerj14 said:
omg! i dont remember which chapter it was but it was the one with the Pit.. and where you had to turn both OXygen and Gas on to destroy the Snake creature thing.. and I couldnt find the **** room for like hours on hours looking for it.. and just getting down to the bottom of the pit the stupid thing would SLice me in half everytime
hehe, thats "Blasting Pit", pretty cool chapter. i also searched for the gas and oxygen room forever and then just jumped down into that huge fan, it was so stiupid so it actually worked.
thats the only real thing i diden't like in half-life; that you jumped into the airflow and got hoverd up to the gas room, wierd...

I really don't care about old graphics, the games are fun and that's why I still play them; but what really gets on my nerves is how low the resolution is. When you are playing FPS at 320 x 240 res starts to strain my eyes. Luckfully I still have my old copy of Duke: Apocalypse (Duke Extreme) which allows me to change the VGA resolution in Duke Nukem 3D (still can't get Duke it out in DC and D! Zone 2 to work even with MoSlo :() I never did like Xen that much, there was never enough ammo and when your first going through Xen gets frustrating when your trying to figure out where the **** you were trying to go.

[SF]MKM said:
well i was waiting for source to but found out that the only improvment would be the physics and some water effects, it would be the source engine but the models are gonna look about the same so thats why i am playing trough HL1 now so i can start playing HL2, it has been laying around for a year now...

As far as Black Mesa: Source (which has been named to just Black Mesa becuase Valve didn't want the source part in it) isn't Half-Life: source which is what Valve did, but what they're doing is a complete remake using the source engine, new texture, new models, new sounds/music etc.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/flash/index.html check out the 'media' section; you will find a bunch of screens n' stuff. The picture of the dam is one of my favorites.

wow... just got to "surface tension". the game gets about 10 times harder when the US Army orders an AH-64 to take care of you...

can you actually bring that chopper down? or is it invinceble?

it crashed into something one time but i had lost all my suit power that try so couldn't save and countinue..

or are you supposed to sneak and lose it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom