Desperate CPU problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fps_vandal

Beta member
When I start steam (the half-life engine's launcher) through a desktop shortcut, or through the actual .exe path, one of two things happens. Either the menu dosn't load, Only the splash and background show up or the screen goes black. Either way my game locks up. I have to hit the windows button button to get out and alt+ctrl+delete. It shows my CPU usage at 100 percent. Finally when it closes CPU usage goes back to normal.

PC specs:

Win XP pro
AMD64 processer
ATI x800 256mb video
1gb RAM
Audigy 2 sound

I can't imagine what would cause this problem. I've tried reinstalling steam, deleting clientregistry.blob, restarting my PC, unloading Norton Anti-Virus while loading steam, lowering my monitors refresh rate, repairing the program, rolling back drivers, updating drivers, using diffrent moniters, clearing the chasis of dust, running spybot search and destroy, defragging my hard drive, everything under the sun.

Nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas?

Steam updates itself automaticly, along with the games, so everything is all up to date, just like everybody else. Unfortuantaly you can't roll back versions to see if the problem goes away, because steam will always update itself.

HL + Steam sucks up a lot of system clicks. Make sure you don't have anything else going on at the same time. No IMs, no Outlook, no IE, no nothing...

hey guys i think that the problem is with the operating system. if you are running windows 64 bit edition your guess is as good as mine. but if you are still running old windows 32-bit then the problem is due to the operating system. i have heard lots on the internet, magazines and friends that this thing can happen if you are running a 64-bit chip on windows 32 operating system. if you are running windows 32bit os (windows xp, windows 98) then try updatign you operating system.

DEATH-INCARNATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom