DayZ tips and how to

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
Well I've gotten a few PM on DayZ and at least one is buying the game so I figured I would put a few tips for new players.

You can keep this on your phone or if you have a second monitor keep it there but you really need a good map to navigate through the HUGE map. This is the one I have been using.
iZurvive DayZ Map: Chernarus Plus

As a new spawn you will need a place to store things you find, anything with pockets will work no matter it's condition, You will find better as you go, So take any clothing you find with storage and keep moving.

Weapons WILL be needed of you will be dead rather quickly, Guns are very effective BUT every time you shoot one zombie there will be 3-4 more coming because they heard the shot and run to the noise so silent zombie killing is the best. There are a LOT of different weapons available, Take any bladed weapon you find first until you can find a ax, The ax is the best bladed weapon that kills them in one hit most times and won't attract other zombies.

Food and drinks If you come across cans of food you won't be able to open them unless you actually found a can opener OR the bladed weapon, Can opener just waste storage space IMHO and I use the axe to open cans of food. when you find soda cans but don't have a ton of storage drink them up, the more you drink the longer it will be before you need to drink again, If you find one of the wells in the map (There are many and all are on the map I gave a link to) Well at the well just repeatedly hit the drink button over and over, Finally it will say I am stuffed and that is what you want. You won't need to drink for at least another hour or so of game play.

Zombie attacks Well these suckers are pretty mean in this game, If your traveling and one is chasing you just run, You run fastest with nothing in your hands, Then if in the fighting position you will slow slightly and with a weapon in your hand you will run slower and some of the zombies will catch up, Best way to lose them is to weave between trees and they seem to get confused and it gives you a chance to get away. NOW if you are in no position to out run them than this will save your life, The Zombies are mean but not too good and hitting a moving target, If there right in front of you just move side to side and as they leap forward to jump on you and miss they pause briefly before there next attack so that is when you want to wack them with the ax or what ever weapon you managed to find, Put the dot for aiming slightly to the right or there head and you will get a solid head shot and it does knock them down, If it doesn't kill them they will get back up but a ax will do it in one hit unless they have a helmet on, A lot of the military zombies do have full gear so are a little tougher to kill but not too bad.

I will be adding to this later but this is just the start of the beginner guied

Dauntae

feel free to add any of your own tips to help the rest out.

Man so disappointed. Started to play DayZ tonight and hopped in an almost empty server to get a feel for things and immediately on spawn was being attacked by a zombie. Not so bad though, could be worse. So I run away and hop into a building to start playing around with graphics settings. I had tweaked everything practically to max before hopping in and was immediately tossed into a lag fest. Was my bad, I had set internal res to 200%. At first it was set to 1280x960 but when I hopped into the game it switched to 4k. Oops. So fixed that and naturally everything got fuzzier. Expected. When setting that back to 100% I could pop everything up to high leaving AA at normal. Started to walk around and noticed, this game doesn't look so great for how heavy it seems. My meter said I was getting solid 60 but even with Vsync off it just felt so slow to me for some reason. The walking seems clunky too.

Anyways after getting a feel for the controls I started exploring a bit. Got to the town near the gas station and was then being chased by a zombie. Ran into a house, closed the door and he wouldn't leave me alone. Nothing to do so I ran to the next house. Again, dead end. Ran into the next bigger house that was two story. Fumbled with the door but it closed before he got there. Ran right through the damn door and even attacked me while it was closed so I ran upstairs. Found a soda and started drinking it and was being attacked by the zombie through the floor. I died. Closed the game, said **** this until it reaches at least beta.

LOL It seems it got bad again. They had the fix for the zombies attacking through the floor and walking through walls pretty much fixed for the most part but it seems to have gone bad in the last update. Key with the zombies is to stay out of bigger towns, Find an axe and there pretty easy to kill, If you shoot them the noise will agro many more and just keep coming. I've not played in a few days. if you find an axe the best way to kill them and survive is to keep moving side ways. They won't leap unless there locked on target with you right in front of them. the good houses to go into are the green 2 story and the red two story houses both with double wide doors, They don't seem to walk through the doors on them most times, The group I have been playing with are all at the south west air base. It sucks getting there but if I see you on hopefully we can meet up in game. Easiest way to get there is if you join a server that's after noon time put the sun roughly at 2 o clock and that will point you towed SW and just keep running, You will eventually reach RR tracks and the main road, put the ocean to your left and and stay on the RR tracks. On the road you will get more zombies on you. If we meet up in game I have plenty of gear and can show you where to find the good stuff. Even have a M4 I'll give you, Been carrying it around for a while but don't really need it. If you have team speak 2 my buddy has a server we can use.

Dauntae

Last edited:
I've got like 2 servers to use as well if needed. Idk man, I'm just super underwhelmed with it then playing Fable Anniversary put out my gaming fire tonight.

THe house I went into was a green 2 story house. I closed the door and the zombie attacked me through it then came in through the door. Went upstairs and saw a soda to drink then he started attacking me through the floor. I obviously don't know how to code a game, but for NPC respawning creatures it seems it should be pretty easy to fix and my buddies have been complaining about that for months.

Am I the only one who thinks general movement and interaction in the game seems very clunky? I feel like I'm playing Morrowind or something. I know it's stupid early in development and I shouldn't be *****ing, but just seems so underdeveloped after having the mod for so long.

DayZ seems to have gotten better lately - at least zombie management has improved. There is loot everywhere now! And I mean everywhere. All the old buildings that never spawned loot, now spawn loot. Even the small little sheds randomly placed throughout have some pretty decent loot in them. So getting gear is far easier than it was before.

They have also fixed the issues related to hitting zombies. Of course, I use the word 'fixed' lightly. Most of the mechanics in DayZ are being completely rewritten from the ground up, which is why the game does have ongoing issues. What's the point in fixing an issue on the current system/engine, when they are already working on re-implementing it entirely? However, in the case of zombies re-spawning constantly and not being able to hit zombies - those issues have since been fixed, because they did make the game very frustrating to play.

Much progress has been made since mid September. Most zombies can't run through doors/walls now. Although occasionally this can still happen. I frequently lure zombies into a building, and then run out shutting the door behind me. This, combined with the new and increased loot spawns, has made managing zombies a lot better than a couple months back.

I say all just to let you know, PP Mguire, you should try playing it again =)

Well I've been getting back into DayZ a bit and it's gotten better, can actually plant stuff now I hear lol haven't tried it though, as soon as you can build and get even basic vehicles it should be a much better game, still having fun and occasionally play with a Dayz clan lol those guys are downright militant in there attacking skills.

Back
Top Bottom