CS source server

Status
Not open for further replies.
AnthraX said:
The higher the tick rate the better. I recommend getting a 100 tick rate server.

Absolutely no way. On servers with a tickrate of 100 you'll find players getting stuck on various things in maps occasionally, and doors won't open, etc. You want a tickrate of 66, nothing more, nothing less.

100 tic rate is the only way to go. You get alot better registry than 66 tic. Every clan that spams #sourcescrim wants 100 tic server, everyone knows that 100 > 66.

TheMayorsCronie said:
100 tic rate is the only way to go. You get alot better registry than 66 tic. Every clan that spams #sourcescrim wants 100 tic server, everyone knows that 100 > 66.

100 tickrate causes problems now:

Do not run tickrate higher than 100, Valve have admitted that there will be issues if you push the tickrate too high. In fact as of 09January2006 players will have problems on 100 tickrate servers, with doors that won't open and get stuck in spots that will not get them stuck on 66 tickrate servers, e.g. Crouched hard up against boxes on angles.

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/Tickrate

2fast4u said:
how do u make ur own server on a computer?!
A server is just a computer that dishes out information to the connected clients. If you want your computer to act as a server, you just run a server program, like Steam's Source Dedicated Server. A dedicated server means that the serving computer just sits there while players connect to it. A non-dedicated server is a server that a player can use as well--so if I wanted to run my computer as a server but also play in the game, I'd need to use my computer as a non-dedicated one. I don't know if you can do this with Source, since it requires much more computing power than the original engine.

There's nothing really special you need to have a server, although good servers have powerful CPUs and lots of RAM. I think the most important thing to have is a wide, fast internet connection.

What you need to run a good gaming server really is a good Internet connection. I run a 32-player Counter-Strike Source dedicated server on my 10Mb full duplex Internet connection. I wouldn't reccomend anything less or the game starts to lag for the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom