CS Source question

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggjoee5790

In Runtime
almost everytime i join a server.. the game downloads all sorts of sound files and some other files. why is this happening? am i supposed to be downloading stuff before playing a map? sometimes it even downloads entire maps.. is this supposed to happen?

yea its normal it the server ur playing probably added sounds to it like wen u get a head shot or something

yea but sometimes a server has like a hundred sounds and it can take 20 minutes. the map best buy takes a good 10 minutes toa download

Ya its a pain in the *** on some servers theres tons of stupid sound files, I dont know why they put them on. Yes its safe to DL them although annoying. Usually if Im waiting for more then a file or 2 i just quit and find a new server. You should be able to force steam to not get the sound files and not play them, its kinda dumb.

Mr_Threepwood said:
Ya its a pain in the *** on some servers theres tons of stupid sound files, I dont know why they put them on. Yes its safe to DL them although annoying. Usually if Im waiting for more then a file or 2 i just quit and find a new server. You should be able to force steam to not get the sound files and not play them, its kinda dumb.

that is a true and good idea stupid steam LOl

actually there is a way to stop the downloading of the annoying files, let me see if i can find the command again and ill post it.

**Edit** Ha found it.

How do I disable automatic sound downloads from Source servers?
Are you tired of downloading sounds (i.e. "Headshot", "Ultra Kill", "First Blood", "Mmmmmmonster Kill", etc.) from CS:S servers? Well, add this cvar to your autoexec.cfg file, and you will not have to download sounds from the server:

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------cl_downloadfilter "nosounds"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I create an autoexec.cfg file?

Open Notepad (Start button >> Programs >> Accessories >> Notepad)

Type the above code in the Notepad file.

Click File >> Save. In the "Save as type" box select "All Files." Then type "autoexec.cfg" (without the quotes) as the "File Name".

Save the file to your cfg folder.

Once you have done this how do you know you have done it correctly?
Type "cl_downloadfilter" in the console; then press enter. You should see the following:

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------] cl_downloadfilter
"cl_downloadfilter" = "nosounds" ( def. "all" )
archive
- Determines which files can be downloaded from the server (all, none, nosounds)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you see that exact code, then you have the cvar set to not download sounds.

source: http://forums.steampowered.com/foru...adid=312255&highlight=downloading+sound+files

amzing what you can find after a couple of brews and some serious bordom

thanks sooo much.. i might try that. but just so i know... where do the files save to? and how do i delete them if i ever uninstall CS? will they just delete with the game being deleted?

Do as it says in the above post and save the autoexec.cfg file here:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\*Your Steam ID*\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg

To delete it just right click delete, or if you do uninstall steam it will be deleted that way.

All it is, is just a command that steam will use when it loads the server, wont harm anything if left there..

ok thanks.. i think i will leave it alone and allow it to download the sounds... its not really a big deal. as long as the sounds get deleted if i uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom