Crytek's Newest engine/ Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

TipsySmile

In Runtime
Wow I've been following this game since I first heard about it, and all I can say is WOW :eek:

Its from the creators of Farcry if you didnt know, and its not gonna be a follow up to farcry. Its called Crysis, Suposed to be one of the first games to suport DX10.

http://xboxyde.com/news_2505_en.html#

There's some screenies and a video which is **** impressive.

And here some scans from a magizine:

Now the good Stuff:

Info on the CryEngine 2:
Cry Engine 2

(Every leaf is made of polygons. The sun, shadows and constantly moving vegetation make the jungle alive. Later on its transformed into a bizarre ice world)

(Other than in FarCry, the clouds are not the border/end of a skybox. For instance the huge mountains rise through the unbelievable realistic volumetric clouds.)

Crysis uses the most advanced graphics technology and Crytek wants to deliver a standard that the compertition has to beat first. CryEngine2 supports Dual-Core CPUs, SM3 and HDR and Crytek told us "it uses more effects/shaders for a single tree than other engines do for whole games". (Sounds a little like PR BS to me)

Dynamic World

The motto of the CryEngine 2 is "all in realtime, dynamic lit and shadowed, interactive and destroyable." For instance the sun rises in east and later goes down in the west, the clouds and gigantic mountains cast their own shadows just like every single leaf and branch in the jungle as well. Crytek uses high-res textures combined with most impressive shader effects.

Movie-like effects

To make the game very cinematic Crytek is also using motion blur and depth of field. Very fast objects/movements realistically blur and depth of field is focusing the central elements, while the sides/edges of the picture and very distant objects rather lose some focus.

Page 35

(HDR light shines thru the leafs, produces realistic sun rays.)
(High-res softshadows are one of the strengths of CryEngine2. We didn´t notice any artifacts or stairs on the shadows.)
(Fires cause heat distortion and the highly detailed particle smoke darkens the scene/sun)
(In Crysis you can destroy whole buildings, shoot down thousands of trees, plants and the more powerful the PC, the more objects are kept that way.)
(The vegetation moves realistically around our character)
(Human faces are more real than before, skin pores, beard, scars and on the right side of the picture you can notice the engines "depth of field")

We need more performance

The hardware requirements of Crysis are not finalized yet. But Cevat Yerli (Crytek CEO) told us that the minimum requirements are a SM2 graphics card. We assume that you will also need at least a 2GHz CPU and 512MB system ram to decently play the game at low settings. For maxxed out details you will need a lot better performing system. A dual-core CPU will be well used in Crysis. The engine uses a very interesting load balancing system that takes advantace of not only dual core but also HT, and CPUs that use both (Intel P EE 840/955 or 2007 scheduled 4 Core CPUs). Depending on the release date, Crysis might ship already with DX10 and SM4 support, and you can expect such graphic cards at the second half of 2006. (My guess: The engine is primary a DX9 SM3 engine, legacy path/support is SM2, and DX10/SM4 will be added as soon as it is available, in similar way like FarCry received SM3 but it might come with it already. The article is a little vague about this point.)

Just watched the trailer and all I can say is, I CAN'T WAIT!!!! the clouds were unreal. The whole engine looks fantastic with real time shadows and destructable scenery. Do you know of a PC release date? this year?

Now this is the reason I am going to upgrade to the G80. From the screenshots it looks more demanding than Unreal Engine 3, and we all know that game wont be up to snuff on today's cards. I wonder what features the DX10 version will have over the SM3....

Wow, now this gives me a reason to wait for the G80 core to come out before i build my new pc.

Those real-time soft shadows are awesome, the clouds, as a guy walk through brush it moves based on him, god **** i have never seen something like, that.

Question, Will it utilize the Ageia PhysX card?

All I know is this game will require one heck of a system to run with the graphics depicted. Hopefully, unlike the first Far Cry, it has decent actualy gameplay and is not just a graphics demo.

Cool! i'm not worried, by the time its released, hardware will have no problem running it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom