CryEngine 2 sneek peek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, the truck crash didn't impress me at all.

The new lighting and reactive scenery was very cool, as was the active skybox and even the clouds. The soft particle engine was just decent. The rest didn't impress me at all.

beedubaya said:
Nvidia isn't going to have it either, so the way I look at it is buying either card this generation is a big mistake. 6800/X800 cards will be more enough to last until Vista's release, and by then the hardware will be out...and the time will be right to upgrade.

No what I meant is that since the R520 has been delayed for quite some time it would be even more of a waste than those who bought a G70 when it came out.

To me it kind of parallels the PS 3.0 situation (I don't know if this makes sense or not).

Which leads me to believe just as you, that buying a current generation GPU is not worth it especially with DX10 around the corner.

That is the same type of thinking I have with PS 3.0. It's not worth it to buy a GPU which does not support PS 3.0 with games which will use PS 3.0 around the corner.

Unless if the GPU is really cheap and it's opportunity cost is great then I would consider it. The X1800XT when it is released will most likely be the most expensive GPU on the market and it's reign will probably be short due to the imminent release of G80 (which I read Nvidia already has ready) and the R580. In essence, although it will be a flagship GPU it would be middle tier next year and with DX10 coming outdated as well. Therefore, the R520's delay has shortened it's maturity cycle greatly.

Why me? seems like every year i build a new machine and 3 months later not a single thing in there is worth half the price it costed to build......

It looks impressive, but I just spent $230 on upgrades and it seems that'll be worthless in few months.

You all just need to time your upgrades right, lol!

I upgraded last year about this time...so by the time this comes out, it'll be time to upgrade anyway! LOL

it's about time that they even have destructible environments...hell I played a game on dreamcast.....ehh "Red (something)" where you were on mars and basically the it was kind of like, red planet, red colors, bunch of communists, but that had destructible environments and all, and they are just now getting around to it?

Eh, the truck crash didn't impress me at all.

The new lighting and reactive scenery was very cool, as was the active skybox and even the clouds. The soft particle engine was just decent. The rest didn't impress me at all.
Ok so what exactly do you want from that game...beyond that it's a crappy vid of a guy holding a camera

Nubius said:
it's about time that they even have destructible environments...hell I played a game on dreamcast.....ehh "Red (something)" where you were on mars and basically the it was kind of like, red planet, red colors, bunch of communists, but that had destructible environments and all, and they are just now getting around to it?
True, but programming for a console is a bit different than for a PC. With a console, the hardware and interface are known, and the bounds to the player can be more controlled.

Nubius said:
Ok so what exactly do you want from that game...beyond that it's a crappy vid of a guy holding a camera
Just what I said in my first post. As for the truck crashing into the building...I've seen that stuff in games before and I wasn't really that impressed. It didn't really do anything impressive other than have the building shatter.

Normally I would say people are over reacting as far as how this engine will beat down a good to very good machine.

However after viewing that video I know Im screwed. I can run all games as of now on medium to high settings on a 1280*1024 res. at 75hz. My days of that are quickly coming to an end. I think I will make it through the next round of must have games up until next year and then Im screwed.

Those shaders/shadows are gonna kill my vid card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom