CryEngine 2 sneek peek

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomUK

Daemon Poster
Take a look @ this:-

Source: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56757&page=1&pp=40

The sequel to Far Cry will use Vista's DX10 features. By the looks of it, a physics processor (whether in PCI form or integrated elsewhere) might be required by then to run the damn thing properly; watch the truck drive through the building, now imagine that kind of scenario (and bigger and better stuff) being calculated very often in-game... Next year is going to be just mental (and expensive) for the gaming community, I'll tell ya.

yeah, i'm telling you, at the pace that physics engines are improving, we'll all need those PhysX cards.

good god lol....man I love how graphics and physics are progressing but at the same time it's like....you spend a couple grand on a bomb computer and for what? Only to experience lowest settings by the next game lol...those soft shadows will just be a video card killer for sure.

But it's mainly going to be optimized for Vista? Is that what that guys going on about? And Vista is going to be the end all spawn of satan big brother OS and crap =/

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
Just watched the video, and integrated physics can do that no problem.

Yeah... Like I said about the truck/hut demo: Imagine stuff like that happeining 100's of times throughout the map in real-time (i.e not scripted). Have you seen the tech demos for the PPU's? If not, then I suggest you track them down as they will show you examples of what's to come in the area of game physics....

Nubius said:
good god lol....man I love how graphics and physics are progressing but at the same time it's like....you spend a couple grand on a bomb computer and for what? Only to experience lowest settings by the next game lol...those soft shadows will just be a video card killer for sure.

Well that's the pain of being a PC gamer/enthusiast :). No matter how much we spend on our systems, to say "OK, I'm ready for next years' games/apps", we find ourselves urging to upgrade seemingly continuosly. It is not an inexpensive hobby.

Nubius said:
But it's mainly going to be optimized for Vista? Is that what that guys going on about? And Vista is going to be the end all spawn of satan big brother OS and crap =/

DirectX 10 (previously known a Windows Graphics Foundation/WGF 10) is an upcoming Windows Vista implementation, yes. Thus, we'll be looking at DX10-class video cards this time next year, which will be required to run CryEngine2 and the like at full-on settings.

EDIT: As I am writing this, my second Gigabyte 7800 GTX came in the post. SLI ready. Woohoo! :D Now I'm set for the next 4 months hopefully ;).

After seeing that...

DX9 is officially outdated. :p

It also makes me want to reconsider to upgrade to Vista earlier than I was planning to.

I currently have $1100 towards my next system and I'm not stopping my saving. I think right now is a terrible time to build a gaming system will everything thats on the horizon. Those with 6800/X800 cards should just skip the 7800/X1800 cards because they are not worth the money and will be worthless in less than a year. My next PC is going to be a top end DX10 PC. I have decided I am not wasting any more money on this current generation stuff.

beedubaya said:
I currently have $1100 towards my next system and I'm not stopping my saving. I think right now is a terrible time to build a gaming system will everything thats on the horizon. Those with 6800/X800 cards should just skip the 7800/X1800 cards because they are not worth the money and will be worthless in less than a year. My next PC is going to be a top end DX10 PC. I have decided I am not wasting any more money on this current generation stuff.

You're definitely right.

I was looking at buying a X1800XT (despite the controversial "benchmarks") or the R580.

But now I guess I'll wait for the R600 unless if the R580 is a DX10 GPU.

It's pretty sad though especially for people who are planning on buying the R520 because of it's delay. If DX10 is going to be release next year with the arrival of Vista, it will be like the whole ATI does not have PS 3.0 all over again. Why buy a $500 GPU that will be outdated in a year?

hu_xu said:
You're definitely right.

I was looking at buying a X1800XT (despite the controversial "benchmarks") or the R580.

But now I guess I'll wait for the R600 unless if the R580 is a DX10 GPU.

It's pretty sad though especially for people who are planning on buying the R520 because of it's delay. If DX10 is going to be release next year with the arrival of Vista, it will be like the whole ATI does not have PS 3.0 all over again. Why buy a $500 GPU that will be outdated in a year?

Nvidia isn't going to have it either, so the way I look at it is buying either card this generation is a big mistake. 6800/X800 cards will be more enough to last until Vista's release, and by then the hardware will be out...and the time will be right to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom