"Core-i7-waste-of-money-says-nvidia"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might not be as huge of a difference in gaming, but I wouldn't call it a waste of money. They're still great performers and I haven't heard anybody complain about the performance of their i7s.

They are right, but they are only pointing this out so you give them more money as opposed to intel. I do believe Nvidia doesn't have an x58 board either, and they want you to buy an nForce board as well. My setup runs everything, and I'm not going to have to get a new cpu for quite awhile because this one is so beastly. When I do, I'm probably not gonna have to get a new mobo either unless I wait that long.

I think this just falls into the idea that all this hardware is only necessary for gaming -- which I believe most PC users nowadays believe. It's a shame, but just because i7 doesn't destroy core 2 duo in performance -- IN GAMES -- does not make it irrelevant or a bad chip.

Everyone who actually has an i7 seems to be extremely happy with them. I put a lot more weight on their opinions than a company that has a obvious conflict of interest since it doesn't and can't have a lga1366 chipset. Not to mention the fact that nvidia's CEO is always making stupid comments abut Intel.

Well yeah, the 965 is a waste of money. Which is the CPU they tested. Considering that getting the 920 is 700 dollars cheaper, it would be 800 bucks instead of 1500. Still more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

Not to mention socket 775, while still fully active, is on it's way down with the introduction of 1156. On top of that, games in the future will probably start utilizing more cores, which is where the i7 will start to shine.

It's all about building for tomorrow, not building for right this second. Then on top of that, it all depends on your budget anyway. My thinking is if you can afford to build i7, why not? You'll be getting a CPU that wont be knocked down on the performance ladder for ages, and it'll be useful for plenty else besides throwing a bunch of hours into a game.

If you want to argue about any build "being worth it", then why not look at AMD builds with the x3 720? You can build nice rigs for around the same cost, if not cheaper than an E8400 rig, and it overclocks pretty well on it's own.

But hey, to each their own. Just my two cents I suppose.

^somehow you managed to bring that chip up lol. Man you are in love with the X3.

But back OT, why should we care about what Nvidia has to say about cpus? Its obvious to me this is just another step in their ongoing feud with Intel. Core i7 kicks *** and we all know it. The only reason game performance didn't benefit largely from it was because games aren't cpu limited for the most part and because the developers are lazy.

Just get ready for Intel to release a statement tomorrow that says Nvidia's cards suck, and then Nvidia will follow with Intel being a poopy face. C'mon we all know whats really going on here. They are just taking a cheap shot.

^somehow you managed to bring that chip up lol. Man you are in love with the X3.

Well, considering it's in the same price range as the E8400, I figured it was relevant. ;) Yes, I do love it, because it's a great performing chip.

Well, considering it's in the same price range as the E8400, I figured it was relevant. ;) Yes, I do love it, because it's a great performing chip.

how does that make it a deal? The e8400 hits 4ghz easy and is a great gaming chip.

EDIT:

I just did a side by side comparison of the chips. Out of 31 tests the e8400 won 20 times, they tied 3 times and the x3 720 won 8 times. The e8400 is better.
AnandTech Bench (beta): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 vs AMD Phenom II X3 720

EDIT2:

I just check my cpu (e7200) against the x3 720. The results are: 31 tests e7200 wins 16 times ties once loses 14 times.
So if anything the x3 720 is comparable to my chip. Not the e8400. BTW the test covers everything, games, encoding, synthetic benchmarks, productivity etc.
AnandTech Bench (beta): Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 vs AMD Phenom II X3 720

Yeah, and so is the x3 720. At stock speeds, it outperforms the E8400, plus it's a nice overclocking chip on it's own.

But this actually gets down to the nitty gritty of the original argument from nVidia about the i7. The x3 has an extra core which admittedly doesn't matter in game currently, but helps with everyday stuff besides gaming.

While the E8400 is still the king of overclocking, the x3 is a close second, depending on your board.

Me personally, I like the x3 because I do a lot more than just gaming, and it helps out. The E8400 is a great chip, but I guess it all comes down to what you do with your machine. I just feel for the current prices, the x3 is a better deal for more than just gaming.

Again. My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom