Considering ENDING PC Gaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
PoisonPorkchop said:
what? if you dont want to worry about system requirements, get an fx 57, 4 gigs of ram, 2 7800 gtx's in sli, and 20 wd raptors.
thats 1.5 terabytes of 10,000 rpm storage. mmmmmm 10,000 rpms......

hahaha that would cost me how much? Even so I know people with 6800 and AMD64 who have HL2 stutter problems. It's obviously a coompatibility issue there.

That is why I think consoles is the permanent future of gaming and most if not all PC games in the future will be console ports.

ThE_MarD said:
Heyyo,

Bleh, I dunno, console's are ok, but to me they were a gamer's training until I got a good PC. Btw.. for halo2? www.halo2sucks.com lol. :p

I tried Halo2.. and it's a decent game, but it's no Halo1 (classic modes, not with PC's extra weapons n' banshee, they suck.. infact the PC port just sucks cause of time limits and gearbox couldn't handle it.. geez, when did H1 come out for $box, and then eventually to PC? if they diddn't start soo late the time thing wouldn't have been such a prob eh?).

Anywho, I'd rather do pc than console. Me n' some buds are gonna rent a place out, and we all have good comps, what use would it be to get a console? Especially since I'll probably be working at a comp shop n' getting employee distcounts? exactly.

Sure, console's are gaining ground, but diddn't they say that the $box was gonna overthrow PC gaming? did it suceed? nope. Lol, I still remember how much hype needed to be built around the $box, with their press releases, and shows, and that traditional accapella church group singing some songs? yeah, do pc's need advertising? no, they sell themselves. Who remembers the massive hype behind H2? now, who remembers the hype behind wow? If I remember correclty, wow had like, NO advertising campaign, insept maybe some online press. H2 had tv commercials n' everything. Wow's got huge numbers. Huge. If H2 had no ad campaigns like it did, no doupt in my mind WOW would've sold more copies (if it hasn't already).

Enough of me and this holy war between consoles and pcs, just stick with pc gaming. It's like a muscle car man, it gives you crap, but it's damn worth it in the end eh? ;)

I never thought Xbox was going to overthrow PC gaming either but PS3 is a huge jump. It's a matter of cost. PC enthusiast will always buy top of the line stuff but the casual PC user won't therefore that leaves the PC gaming market very fragmented with games that need high requirements left for only basically premium customers. So it's basically a question of economics. That is what I'm saying. Developers won't go the console route because of tech, they will go the console route because of economics. However, PC has another distinct advantage over consoles I forgot to mention and that is mods. But because of economics I know a lot of past PC gamers who have gone the console route because of requirement and thus cost issues which the thread starter was pointing out. The only thing keeping PC gaming alive are games like HL2 which came out on PC first. But if more and more games come out on consoles first or exclusively it will be apocalyptic for PC gaming. It will still exist but the games will be console ports. Now this is a prediction of course but if you had the choice to buy a 7800GTX which costs $800 here in Canada and a $800 console with a equilavent GPU or even better (still to be seen) I think it would be a better investment to buy the console. The fact that gaming consoles are trying to extend their purpose also makes them more marketable. How about in the future a console is released as a media center (and PS3 could be the beginning of that)? So its no longer just a gaming console, its a HD player, music player, and etc. Some people might buy it not even for games at all. That is what I see happening in the future and is happening now...everything is becoming integrated like how many people predict the cell phone will extinct the Ipod soon. Also, the reason why Halo 2 got so much marketing is because that the console gaming market has a larger target range than PC gaming so it makes sense to use marketing on mediums with more range (TV) where as marketing for PC games are usually limited to lower range and more specific mediums (IGN.com). I doubt WoW would sell as much as Halo 2 even without the marketing blitz simply because the genre is not as popular with casual gamers and console games typically have a higher market reach.

Also, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!! ;) Halo 2 was great. I'm in uni and me and my buds play Halo 2 on Xbox no probs. Also you can't transfer your situation into somebody else. Many people have sh*t PCs and don't get discounts. Those are the people who will most likely consoles and it just so happens that is the majority people. Why build a $2000 PC simply for gaming when you can buy a console less than half that (still to be seen) and have better parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom