Completely baffling CPU problem with Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakaGaijin

Beta member
OK, I really hope someone can help with this. Here is what is going on:

I have had this Dell laptop for a couple of years now. Its a Dell Inspiron 8200 with an Intel P4 2.4 ghz cpu, 512 MB ram, and an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 video card with 64m memory.

I am a hardcore Day of Defeat junky and have played it for years on this computer without any problems. I have over the years done complete refreshes of my computer by reformating the HD, reinstalling the drivers, installing Windows XP and installing Steam of course. Never a problem.

Lately I did another HD whack and reinstalled everything and now I am having severe problems. This is what happens -

Windows boots up normally, I can browse the web, use windows applications etc with no problems.. Then I launch Steam and jump into a game. About half the time, the game hangs while loading reasources and eventually says timed out. The other half of the time, the game loads quickly and I start playing and everting is fine for about 5 minutes. Then all of the sudden, the entire game gets TOTALLY laggy. Completely unplayable. My latency is still fine, there is no updating going on, no other applications open in windows. When I finally quit and get back to my desktop, I notice that my CPU is maxed out at 100%. After the game finally completely closes, the cpu goes back down and it seems like windows applications are fine but a bit laggy. THe wierd thing is though that if I do anything with Steam from that point on, for example move the little steam menu window around, open up a different steam window, anything, it immediatly maxes out the CPR. I think that the lagging in the game is because all of the sudden my CPU went to 100% but I dont know why it is doing it.

By the way, sometimes I get into a game and it is alreay lagging but usually I get a few minutes. I reboot and repeat and it does the same thing.

A couple of other points: I have all the latest drivers for my video card installed and have even tried going back to older versions to see if that made a difference, no luck. Also, I used to suspect temperature, since one my my fans is dead, but even if I rest my computer all night and start fresh it is already this way. No worse if the computer has been on all night.

I am new at posting so please tell me if you need any additional information. Any ideas will be helpful!!!!! I need my DOD fix!

Dave

wow! you got a good one...
lets give it a start shall we. i'm sure someone's got some better ideas but here's my 2 cents worth...

first have you tried to uninstall and reinstall Steam?

does the laptop feel abnormally hot to you when it's under heavy load?

do you have antivirus, anti-spyware or popup blockers running while playing the game, something that my conflict and max the cpu?

these are the first questions that comes to mind, but honestly it sounds kinda like a hardware issue, if there isn't anything wrong with steam, (say a file corrupted durring install or something.)

do you have the original Dell disk that came with the pc.
if so, boot to that cd and run the diagnostics tool on all hardware in the system.

Good luck
~KB

try going into processes in task manager, right click hl2 (or what ever game steam is loading) and set its priority to highest. Dont go realtime, that'll screw stuff up. See how that works, if it does another program is causing the problem, if not we'll go from there.

also a hijack this log posted would be nice.

Thanks for the advice. I do not have any pop-up blockers or anti-virus software going. All I installed was windows xp, the video driver and steam.

Further developments - it is not a Steam problem because all games do this. Well I have not installed and tried every game but several games do the same thing.

I tried setting the game program to high priority in task manager but it made no difference. I will try to get a hackthis log up soon.

Any other ideas?

What makes you think that it might be a failing HD?

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom