compatibility on xp and older games

Status
Not open for further replies.

-FiVe-

Solid State Member
This is why some people say compatibility doesn’t work for the older games “if the game makes a direct call to the Hardware then the compatibility won't help since it's not going through the OS. The Windows bible says that you're not supposed to make direct calls to the hardware but that didn't stop a lot of game programmers doing it to get a little more efficiency out of the slower hardware of the time. These days with DirectX and power to spare it isn't an issue but those old games require those calls and sadly, XP makes it impossible. After all if you can directly call the PCs hardware, bypassing the OS entirely, then all the OS's security features go out of the window” IS THERE ANYWAY AROUND THIS!!!!

install the OS that it was designed to work for, if you are lucky you can get something like Virtual PC and it might work...

thx for the reply! i dont think i want to go back to win98 aha i have taken a look at the virtual pc though, i tried the trial version but that wasnt meant for xp home edition so that didnt work so i dont know if the virtual pc would work and it costs money:(

actually is there something for win9x games? cuz the game i want to get to work is Rogue Spear which isnt a dos game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom