Company Of Heroes Skirmish

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaderpro

Fully Optimized
I am having difficulty with any success against the Germans in the demo version of 'Skirmish' in this game. They kick my butt every time; I never reduce their points. They always seem to have invincible tanks and ever-pressing units. Any tips to winning a skirmish appreciated..I have tried the 'easy' setting too...no diff, just gives you a little more time to deploy and setup.

If I set the tickets to 250 I can win pretty easily on any difficulty. If the tickets are above that level, the Germans start cranking out tanks which tear me to pieces. I'm not a beginner when it comes to RTS games, but CoH I have not played a lot of.

Here's what I do:

I take my first freebie engineer and start taking territory in the direction of the nearest victory point (to start creating some resources). Meanwhile, I create a second engineer.

Once new engineer is done, I create a barracks. I move my original engineer to capture the next point, or I'll go straight for a victory point.

Once the barracks is up, I create riflemen to take a victory point, or to defend the one I have. If I have some fuel I might put up a machine gun nest to defend an important location.

I'll also get a Jeep or two out there as quick response or support vehicles.

In the early game, one group of riflemen is usually enough to hold a victory point for some time. If you're being overwhelmed, retreat and replace the defense.

Again, I'm no expert, but in CoH you must play very aggressively while keeping the victory points under your control.

If your playing over 500, your main goal should be fuel posts. You still have a looooooot of time, so in the mean while, build lots of tanks, and when the time has come, overtake them as all they are doing is fortifying there VP point without fuel. :). Other then that group your shermans together, and sprinkle around some AT guys to help with RANDOM troops and vehicles going around back capping you.

Usually I start by making a barracks and more engineers. Make riflemen to cap fuel and build OP's. After that it's smooth sailing, MG squads, couple of shermans, etc. :D

Your alive btw ;)

Well it is kinda like the way german equipment really was. In ww2 their tank divisions were virtually unstoppable. Look at there desert campaign, they would advance at least 50 miles a day wiping out anything in there way. only thing that stopped them was over stretched supply lines which meant no fuel.

Yes Im alive:eek: ! Thanks for the replies. I have been playin at 1000 tickets....I will lower and try the suggestions, much appreciated!

Edit:
I finally won one. I only had 47 tickets left....I had to have all three victory points, use mines :cool:

Pz, I have no time......the germans grap the points pretty quick...i wish the game went slower. It just a mess of troops everywhere....would be nice have more time to build my army...:confused:

Yeah, that isn't the way that Dawn of War and Company of Heroes play. You don't build up and then send the armies together in some epic clash. It's very active with a lot of constant combat. It's just a different RTS style, I suppose.

I played an Annihilate game and beat the Germans on Normal. It felt so great to finally have my tanks on their doorstep firing at their HQ. I noticed that the momentum really went in my favor when I killed their first few tanks and held the fuel points to create more of my own.

Yeah, this is my first RTS game. Its hard to use all the supplies they give you cause there is no time...like why would I bother laying barb wire or using wire cutters when the enemy has tanks at my base in ten minutes? Still enjoying it, but cannot win on 'easy' with 1000 tickets....will keep trying...

I've been playing annihilate mode in the demo for some time. I actually don't use tanks hardly at all. Just make sure you have AT guns at the critical points (especially have 1 and a MG nest on that little island to the right of your base, and have then both face towards their base).

I find the airborne path to be the best. Once you can drop AT guns anywhere fighting tanks get pretty easy. The airborne satchel charges destroy observation posts in one blast so it's easy to take points that aren't defended very well.

I've not tried any difficulty higher than Normal as of now, and I've been playing annihilate mode most of the time. But just make sure you have AT guns in the right places and you'll be fine. Also I always grab the church and make it a forward barracks; then I place a sniper inside and that usually takes care of infantry pretty well, just make sure no tanks come and pound the **** out of him.

Beefcake said:
I've been playing annihilate mode in the demo for some time. I actually don't use tanks hardly at all. Just make sure you have AT guns at the critical points (especially have 1 and a MG nest on that little island to the right of your base, and have then both face towards their base).

I find the airborne path to be the best. Once you can drop AT guns anywhere fighting tanks get pretty easy. The airborne satchel charges destroy observation posts in one blast so it's easy to take points that aren't defended very well.

I've not tried any difficulty higher than Normal as of now, and I've been playing annihilate mode most of the time. But just make sure you have AT guns in the right places and you'll be fine. Also I always grab the church and make it a forward barracks; then I place a sniper inside and that usually takes care of infantry pretty well, just make sure no tanks come and pound the **** out of him.

Yeah, the annilate option is much better, just played for over an hour, until I got "Tigered"...yah I dont have enough AT guns, will do that...I also found that it is near impossible to destroy a german AT gun crew unless you manually do it yourself by circling around them with a tank or flamethrower; otherwise they will take out your tanks, crews, jeeps or whatever.....this 'theory' that troops fight on their own is NOT true, they get their assess kicked most of the time on their own, and never take defensive positions etc...

Yeah the snipers are handy...

I went with the 'tank option' and got the Pershing which was a complete waste as it too got knocked out by the numerous AT crews hiding in the trees..so i will try Airborn again...

Thanks For all the tips!!

Actually when I was trying every option and when I was testing the armor path, I found that having a Pershing and a Half-Track with quad 50s are really good. With the armor path the half track can take points while the Pershing defends it.

3e3d8951d810d5570238dda038ef7f1272579de5.png

This is the usual setup that I have on this area. But I would also put a MG team in the building that is on the island. Another AT crew won't hurt either, although 1 usually works pretty well (you can see the blown up tanks near the top of the pic).

The infantry path is alright I guess, it has the absolute best artillery, but they take up so much population that it starts to become a pain if you have any more than 2 105mm howitzers (they take up 11 population each). But then it gets annoying having to rely on artillery all the time. This path is also the one where enemy tanks are the most annoying, airborne has the AT drop which by far IMO the best anti tank fighting style. I got them to a point where they stopped making tanks and using all infantry, and that is when things got really intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom