Command & Conquer 4 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
March 16th but it is also coming to xbox so I don't know how it's going to turn out.

thought it had a March 2nd release for NA and 5th for Europe? 16th and 19th are the dates for the xbox release.

it seems ok to me, they say it will have noticeably lower requirements yet look better...which seems rather hopeful unless the first one was optimised REALLY BADLY. Which....it kind of was actually, if you ever played against AI on SupCom 1 and FA, you might notice your FPS generally gets lower throughout the course of a battle, even if you had bigger battles earlier on. Reason is when a tank dies it's AI wasn't stopped properly, so the more destroyed units, the more "ghost" unit scripts which are still being processed. It made it worse playing against AI as other scripts involved in how the AI makes plans, uses units etc, also didn't stop when a squad was destroyed.

But we'll see, that Cybranasaurus rex looks a bit out of place, an organic unit in SupCom...bar that looks pretty good IMO. Only major gripe is the economy, apparently now if you don't have the resources to build something, you can't start it, where as I thought the whole point of TA and it's successor SupCom was you didn't have to have the resources 100% up front, things built gradually and you could give more engineers on one structure to speed it up. Now you can only have one engineer assisting a factory.

To me the problem with this game is that it seems like nothing really matters. You can lose everything in a big epic battle and within 2 minutes have everything except vet levels back. I know a big problem in the other games on certain maps was economy booming but even then if you lost your epic unit and a bunch of guys it was a big deal.

And I'm not liking how well the repair units work. If somebody has a ton of repair units you need to destroy a unit in one volley, otherwise they will completely heal in a second.

uhmmm I remember..it was suppose to be "tiberium" but after looking around a bit it was cancelled :(

and yea oreo, i haven't got my key either :\

EDIT: wow...i was just reading about this game....you hold "control nodes" longer to win the mission? what kind of bs is that : that's no where near what the previous games have been about :|

i wish games series would die before they are ruined like this :(

Yeah Tiberium was suppose to be a squad based shooter set after Tiberium Wars and the Scrin return with their real army. It sounded cool but I heard they cancelled it because they didn't think it was turning out well.

And IIRC Westwood was already working on Renegade 2 but that was cancelled when EA bought Westwood. I think they bought Westwood shortly before Renegade launched and didn't have much faith in it.

thought it had a March 2nd release for NA and 5th for Europe? 16th and 19th are the dates for the xbox release.

it seems ok to me, they say it will have noticeably lower requirements yet look better...which seems rather hopeful unless the first one was optimised REALLY BADLY. Which....it kind of was actually, if you ever played against AI on SupCom 1 and FA, you might notice your FPS generally gets lower throughout the course of a battle, even if you had bigger battles earlier on. Reason is when a tank dies it's AI wasn't stopped properly, so the more destroyed units, the more "ghost" unit scripts which are still being processed. It made it worse playing against AI as other scripts involved in how the AI makes plans, uses units etc, also didn't stop when a squad was destroyed.

But we'll see, that Cybranasaurus rex looks a bit out of place, an organic unit in SupCom...bar that looks pretty good IMO. Only major gripe is the economy, apparently now if you don't have the resources to build something, you can't start it, where as I thought the whole point of TA and it's successor SupCom was you didn't have to have the resources 100% up front, things built gradually and you could give more engineers on one structure to speed it up. Now you can only have one engineer assisting a factory.

I think supreme commander ran really well. Used all the cores you had. My only issue is it eats RAM.Like you said, the longer you're in battle, the more it takes up no matter what. I've had it actually get to the point it takes 4 seconds to = 1 second in game time :\

Just means there are memory leaks because of bad programming.

It was made by Sega right? Or it might be another one I'm thinking of.

Just means there are memory leaks because of bad programming.

It was made by Sega right? Or it might be another one I'm thinking of.

cant remember, I know SEGA made Universe at War, you might be thinking about that?

UAW..just played a match right now, amazing RTS IMO, if it didnt have so many bugs and was better advertised, could have done really well. I've never played an RTS where it almost feels your playing a different game when you play as one of the three races. I mean two have classic build a base mechanic, one has a flow network which is amazing, like the webway gates in Dawn of War but automatic, you build pylons which have this energy beam between them(invisible to enemy, beam and pylons). Units "flow" through em as bright blue torpedo shapes, and come down at the pylon nearest to where you sent them on the map. After certain research all units bar heroes can use it, tanks, planes etc.

You have the guys with no base but giant walkers as factories and weapons, they can crush anything they stand on bar the enemy HQ, have tons of hardpoints you buy upgrades for, can make it produce units faster, make em cheaper, give it armour, give it a variety of weapons, make it fire faster, further etc, up to you, makes for really individual walkers.

Lastly the other base building race have infinite resources. Well a structure gives credits, max of 5 of em, can be given an upgrade to make em go faster(hardpoint, buildings have them that can have upgrades). A research path makes makes them even better. They can also switch between "light" and "dark". Light has units more powerful and lets your aerial units fly, dark mode makes em faster but weaker, and your planes cant fly(mobile as ground units with diff weapons, bit worse, not terrible though). But in Dark mode, if you research enough up the "dark" research branch. units and structures effectively have double HP(dark matter armour) and if you go right up that research path, they gain the armour as their being attacked, making them really strong...also a base with dark matter armour on looks really pretty. They also have a different superweapon for each mode(building flips over, so one building, just two weapons), if you research right up light mode their radar "a floating eye, greek architecture.", it emits a bright beam from it's eye, kills anything in seconds.

...you can tell I'm a fan. Lazy half arsed campaign, sadly the way of most RTS these days, buggy as ****, but some great innovations. I'd love for a UAW 2 with a bit more work on ironing out bugs and instabilities(has a rare habit of crashing, totally locks up the computer), bit more effort into the campaign, that's it.

Ooh, I see.

Yeah, wasn't the first game supposed to be one of the first games to really take advantage of quad-core systems? Yeah, I heard it was poorly optimized. I don't know how well it ran on my old PD system. I probably ran it on medium.

Ooh, I see.

Yeah, wasn't the first game supposed to be one of the first games to really take advantage of quad-core systems? Yeah, I heard it was poorly optimized. I don't know how well it ran on my old PD system. I probably ran it on medium.

yeah I think so. They've admitted since then it wasn't optimized as well as it could have been....translation "**** we ****ed that up a bit eh? Oh well, lets try with SupCom 2, we're promising better graphics yet lower requirements...**** we recently boasted your Quad will be redundant it's so well optimized it'll only need a half decent dual core. Guys have we been spouting crap or has someone actually gone to check if we can deliver..."

Well, they gotta make it run on xbox, so it has to be better optimized. I think the requirements are only going to be slightly higher than last time around. The minimum will probably be about the recommended from last time.

Well, they gotta make it run on xbox, so it has to be better optimized. I think the requirements are only going to be slightly higher than last time around. The minimum will probably be about the recommended from last time.

nah the point is it's going to have lower requirements, but look better. That's what seems to...well impossible to do, unless they really messed up the first time round.

I heard they tested the game out on a rig as bad as one with a single core 2.8 ghz processor, 1gig of ram, and a Nvidia 6800. That is pretty much the recommended from last time around. This is like 3 years later though, so it is understandable to have that as a requirement. That's about where all the new games are at. You could have gotten a rig like that 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom