CofH vs CofD4 vs BF1942 for LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Ok, thanks for all the input in my other LAN recommendations thread, we're going to go with L4D as well as C&C3 but I'm trying to narrow down the selections to a single FPS (in addition to CS). Just looking for input on which of the following is the best for LAN party:

- Company of heroes
- Call of Duty 4
- Battlefield 1942

I know 1942 is significantly older than the others but is nice and cheap @ $10 new :p what do you guys think?

Comes down to what other people can run and what people can afford.
Plus it comes down to what other people might already have copies of.

Otherwise......
Older - Means that every one should able to run it. There is nothing fun about having some one with slower machine at a lan party. They normaly give every one else the guilt trip.
Cheap - Means that you can quickly run over to the game shop with $10 per person and pick up a copy while you are picking up Pizza.

I thought company of heroes was an rts.

Go with cod4. Bf's maps are little bit big for just a lan party, don't you think?

I've never played any of them...hence why I'm asking :p No one has copies of any of these other than me (have CofH and BF1942 but have never played them)

Computers shouldn't be an issue, I have 5 in the house that will run any of these games in a pinch (once i pull the gpus from my folding rig and put some into the htpcs).

The cost feature is a good bonus, some of my brothers are still in university and need to pinch pennies, there will be a couple of high school guys there but I'll cover the games for them and just trade them back to the store afterwards.

There should be atleast 15 of use at the party so are the maps too large for that number of guys?

Cod4 hands down. Unless you're all known fans of BF games...the maps are big and the action is not as intense, however, 1942 is very easy to run these days and by no means is it "bad". It should be way cheaper than cod4 aswell.

CoH is an RTS.

Now what about CofD4 MW vs CofD W@W?

Gameplay wise how does the modern warfare version differ from CS? I'm kind of leaning towards teh W@W version as the WW2 setting would be a different setting, we've been playing CS for years now at these LANs.

COD4 is a good LAN game. i dont like the MP of COD5 as much as 4 but it is still good.

BF1942 just sucked IMO. i played it a total of like 4 times and have not went back.

and COFH is an RTS but it also has a multi player that might be pretty cool at a LAN. i have never played the MP but i would imagine it would be cool with about 6 people at a LAN.

Now what about CofD4 MW vs CofD W@W?

Gameplay wise how does the modern warfare version differ from CS? I'm kind of leaning towards teh W@W version as the WW2 setting would be a different setting, we've been playing CS for years now at these LANs.
You have to understand that CS and stuff like the Quakes and UT99 are the granddaddies of modern shooters. So the whole spawn and go get frags is pretty similar to CS, yeah. BF1942 is very much different from CS since it has bigger maps and roles, vehicles and in general it tries to simulate an actual battle, whereas CS and CODs are mostly skill based. (however I'm a firm believer that these new CODs have been dumbed down when compared to other competitive FPS games)

W@W catches my eye more than modern warfare, though I can't really say its better since I do not own either. Based on player opinions I'd have to say MW is the better of the 2.
W@W is WW2...so that'd probably compliment CS better than MW.

Thanks for the input guys, I think we're going to go with W@W since it's a WW2 game, sort of compliment CS which isn't getting dropped.

What about Quake 4? I have Quake 4 and Enemy territory but have never played either, is one better than the other for a LAN party?

quake wars is like batle field it would compliment the other games much better. but quake 4 is older now and is very very cheep. quake 4 has wicked multiplayer to. i didnt like the quake wars version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom