COD4 Rate Of Piracy Astounds Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wildside said:
do something to prevent it, like tighter security.
Are you nuts? There is so much "copy protection" shoved down our throats now that half of our stuff won't run right because of it. The vast majority are punished because of the actions of a minority of users.

More "security" is not the answer. Nor is trying to run down every 12-year old who downloads a game or a song. Until people realize that intellectual property is the same as a car or a house, piracy will be widespread. Just because you don't have something tangible in your hands does not mean that it is free. A computer game is every bit as valuable as a DVD burner or a hard drive... but since it is not physical, people figure that really isn't the same.

When there is no absolute right and no absolute wrong, intellectual property becomes a "community property" thing in the minds of most. The designer of the game, the programmer of the game, and the distributor of the game sure didn't go through the work and trouble to give it away, yet people act like they did. True, many games on the market are definitely not worth what they are asking for them. The solution is to boycott them, not steal them. Even if a games doesn't sell but is pirated, the company sees it as successful and continues to push the same crap.

I bought halo 2, need for speed pro street, and COD4. That was a total of $130.00. I also plan on getting Crysis.

are you sure?
cos the game needed an online activation so the cracks wouldnt work...i guess i could be wrong then.

ok i did a little research it seems the legit version does need an online activation, but a simple normal no cd exe crack worked just fine so not very effective at anti piracy there

Games are a tad expensive though, but I guess they need to make up for all the piracy. But $30 AAA new-release games would definitely encourage people to buy legit IMO, especially with good online gameplay. I mean, look at Orange Box! Each game came out to a little more than $5 and they are easily worth 3 or 4 times that amount...

Firstly I buy all my games.

Secondly, maybe if they would stop charging $50 games that take 5-10 hours to complete the single player game then people would buy it.

Theres is no way to play online though. Ill admit i downloaded it myself, but couldint get it to work and i wanted multiplayer so i went out and bought it. $50 is pretty step for one game, which is short anyways. They should sell the multiplayer portion of the game online for like $30, that would reduce the pirating.

AU$50 dollars is nothing mate.

It's about AU$99 (US$87) to AU$110 (US$96) for a new game down here in Australia.

One thing that I have been noticing that a lot of new games are quickly making thier way to the bargin bins because no one is picking them up due to the pricing.

AU$50 dollars is nothing mate.

It's about AU$99 (US$87) to AU$110 (US$96) for a new game down here in Australia.

One thing that I have been noticing that a lot of new games are quickly making thier way to the bargin bins because no one is picking them up due to the pricing.

Can you buy it on Ebay and have it shipped? You can usually get a $50US game for around $30US or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom