COD4 Rate Of Piracy Astounds Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
One of the developers of Call of Duty 4 says that the sheer number of people playing pirated versions of his game is astounding. It's a **** shame that so many people nowadays think it is OK not to pay for the games they play. Thanks to Netrat33 for the linkage.
Not sure if I can share the exact numbers or percentage of PC players with you, but I'll check and see; if I can I'll update with them. As the amount of people who pirate PC games is astounding. It blows me away at the amount of people willing to steal games (or anything) simply because it's not physical or it's on the safety of the internet to do.

COD4 Rate Of Piracy Astounds Developers - www.Tech-Dump.comhttp://www.hardocp.com/

none that i know of are playing online though. I pirated the game but couldn't find a legit key to save my life, so I was a good doobie and bought the game and am very glad about it.

also its 50 bucks, and a lot of kids don't really have 50 bucks to drop on a game, or want to spend 50 bucks on a game so it's kids way of saying **** YOU to the man. even though its really dumb cause the companies are just gonna stop making games if they don't make profit, and were gonna be suck with Barbie Goes to Wonder World as game of the year.

Theres is no way to play online though. Ill admit i downloaded it myself, but couldint get it to work and i wanted multiplayer so i went out and bought it. $50 is pretty step for one game, which is short anyways. They should sell the multiplayer portion of the game online for like $30, that would reduce the pirating.

You know what, I can see downloading a game to try it out cuz you wouldn't be sure if it was worth 50 bucks.

I did that with Gears of War, and personally I'm so glad I didn't pay for that game. I never finished it and I already erased it. However, I gladly paid the $50 for COD4, and Bioshock, and Crysis, World in Conflict....these games deserved every penny and in COD4's case - a few more dimes.

^I somewhat agree with that, but really.. that's what demos are for IMO (singleplayer and multiplayer)

I think the best solution is to have something similar to Steam. Yes, I know Steam games have been cracked, but it's much more of a hassle, and I'm sure online play is next to impossible. I personally like Steam a lot and it's been working solidly for me ever since I first downloaded and installed it way back when I got Half-Life 2.

^^ You're right on the demos and normally that's the way forward, but I'm not sure Gears had a demo out. Could be wrong - at any rate I used it like a demo so my conscience is fine with it.

I don't know alot about Steam and maybe I'm old school but I prefer to have the disk and everything than having to wait for the download.

Mine was free (to me). My workplace gave us $75 Wal-Mart gift cards for Christmas, so I used that to pay for it.

I like it OK, but I wouldn't have paid that for it if it was coming out of my own pocket...

^^ You're right on the demos and normally that's the way forward, but I'm not sure Gears had a demo out. Could be wrong - at any rate I used it like a demo so my conscience is fine with it.

I don't know alot about Steam and maybe I'm old school but I prefer to have the disk and everything than having to wait for the download.

Well I guess it's different for Steam because most of the games share the Source libraries, so you don't have to download the entire game from scratch, I'm assuming they could do this with all games that use the Unreal 3 engine, for example...

For me, I wasn't interested in playing multiplayer anyways so $50 for a game that takes a few hours to beat is kind of much.

I think that they should offer different packaging for different gamers who maybe just want to play the single player campaign, online multiplayer, or both and price them accordingly. Anyways, I am a ****ss poor college student and can't afford saimin...sooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom