COD4 crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I dunno what is going on, but I am about ready to throw it in the yard.

OK, my rig's specs are in my sig. I am trying to play COD4 multiplayer. I have already installed the patch. I have the 7.12 drivers (I think that's the newest), I rolled them back, and now i am running the latest Omega drivers, but still crashing. I am using RivaTuner to run my card at XTX speed (650/1000), and have tried it with OC, without OC, and without RivaTuner running at all. I have killed EVERYTHING running in the background besides TeamSpeak.

What is it doing? Well, it will either go to black screens on both monitors and then lock up... only way out is to power it down, or it lock up in game (same result), or go black on both monitors in game (same thing). A few times it has kicked out like a reboot, but it didn't reboot (monitors lost signal and then came back up).

I suck at the game, but am improving. But if I can't get it to run, what's the use? I am open to suggestions.

is the full game flakier than the demo? I didn't experience anything erractic with that....and always wonder if full versions might end up more error prone than demos.

maybe I'll start a new thread asking that? :D

I don't know abot the Omega drivers making it crash, as it has crashed on the 7.12, the driver set before that, AND the omegas.

I also know it's not the temps causing the crashes (CPU or GPU).

If I don't get any solid ideas, I may try a reinstallation this evening (or sometime). As long as my stats are stored online I have no worries... but it's not like I've earned much.

stats are saved in the players or profiles folder in the COD4 folder in program files if i remember correctly, not online. back them up first.

Good question. Definitely more than my GFX card needs, though. i have run FEAR, BF2, HL2, and a lot of others without a hitch.

I am running the game on default settings except for resolution, which is set at my monitor's native resolution (Monday morning brain-dead, so all I can remember is "x 1024").

Best thing to do is take the power from as much as possible. Unplug all case fans (not CPU fan), floppy drive, any CD drive not needed, memory card reader and anything else you know you don't need and know how to put back!

Does the game still crash after you have PSU bareboned the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom