Check this out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cents...

I think the idea of making "games" of these kinds of things is okay...But only for the purpose originally intended (in this case, to study the JFK assassination). Once you start SELLING the game to the general public for "play" it becomes a disgusting and imoral concept. Why on earth would anyone want someone to have fun assassinating JFK? It's sick, and just plain wrong.

There should not be any laws or protest against creating these sorts of things, as gaming technology is becoming more and more a great way to examine problems in the real world. (For instance, simulations from games have already been used numerous times for studying the Kennedy assassination. "Games" have been made to re-examine the aftermath of swat-team assault to see what went wrong/right and how to better themselves. The bot-code from MoH was used in a simulation to see how well citizens could evacuate apartment complexes in L.A..)

There should be a law against making this stuff public for "entertainment" purposes. If you want to sell a setup for others to test and troubleshoot, that's one thing. Selling it for people to have fun, is just disgusting. (God forbid any of the tons of improperly-parented kids in the US get ahold of this!)

As for the whole war-games stuff (MoH, AA, DoD, etc), there's a very broad line between war-games and this JFK game. When a game company makes a game where people can reenact a war, that's one thing. When they make a game where the only objective is to assassinate a president, that's another.

Playing war games teaches us what it was like for people who actually fought these wars, and the history behind them, as well as how to strategise and work as a team. And war-games like MoH, DoD, AA, don't go into death-camps, political issues, etc. We don't get to torture people, there's no anti-jew level of the game, etc. However, when you're playing a game like the JFK-Reloaded game for fun, the objective is to assassinate a president. That's it. There's no reason behind it, and the whole action isn't ethical.

Other people besides Americans should have a problem with this. Just because it's an American president, doesn't matter. From a moral/ethical/social standpoint, ANY nation should see a problem behind this. I'm sure the Scots know that having fun playing a game where the only objective is assassinating a political figure, is moderately imoral/unethical.

Lastly, it's not illegal to threaten the life of a dead president. If someone calls the FBI and threatens to assassinate Andrew Jackson, they're not going to get a visit from the Secret Service, they're gonna get transfered to the American Psychiatric Association. You can, however, get in trouble for threatening to do something to the grave/memorial of a president. Threatening to, for instance, douse the flame at Arlington cemetary is cause for trouble. In relation, creating a game to study how to assassinate JFK (outside of legitament research purposes) is unethical and sick, but is not illegal (outright). But if you created a game about "how to assassinate George W. Bush" you'd get into some kemshi over that.

ShoobieRat,

Really , I admire you :love: . Well written article . Its not the first time either. There must be some link in the T.F homepage like 'shoobie's articles' .

yea i didnt read the articles you guys posted but i read that they have a $100,000 reward for whoever can get the closest to the real thing?? my god, i do hope it doesnt give us gamers a bad name.

OK, to clear up a few things here...

First of all, "JFK Reloaded" isn't a game. It's an educational tool. That's what the company's calling it, but really. This isn't a multiplayer shooter like Quake or Unreal. It's not a plot driven shooter like Half Life or Deus Ex. You set up a sniper shot to kill former President John F. Kennedy. The point of the game is to prove the second shooter theory wrong.

That said, I think the game is indeed offensive. All that it is, is a good effort, except for the fact that John F. Kennedy was a real person, with a real family who cared about him, and he had the hearts of a lot of Americans who are still alive.

I think, had their stated intentions been what they were really going for, they should have taken JFK out of it, made it a generic president, generic first lady, generic car, and remove all references to the JFK event. That way, they can still disprove the conspiracy theory, but they're doing it in a more tactful, indirect way. I'm sure the Kennedy family appreciates people disproving rumors about the assassination, especially such rumors that slander their name, but the way this was done was just bad.

Hopefully more games like Deus Ex will come out, where you can knock someone unconscious as an alternative to killing them, an din many cases simply sneak around bad guys as an alternative to confrontation. Games that are fun, good games, but with a choice to either be really bad, or pretty good.

Moral issues aside

Shooting the same guy three times in the exact way that the programmers want you to...

that doesn't even classify as a demo and most certainly isn't worth my $10

yes but whats the point of disproving the theory?? if they can build the game they can disprove it themselves. the game is pointless, and tasteless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom