can my 480watt psu handle 7800gt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
its acually 40 watts lower (the 7800) compared to the 6800 which (MINIMUM) needs 400 (so 6800 needs 400W whilst 7800 needs 350W, these are minimums so get a something big, but then theres everything else. like ur ram, CPU, everythting else good to have a bit of headroom try google.

That last post was a little confusing so here you go quoted right from the side of my evga 7800gt box

"Minimum 400 W system power supply"
"Minimum 500 W for SLI Mode system"

well lets just go with the box source, rather than internet sources, i recommend you get a better PSU first coz ur other equipment prob will use up the 80W and if you overclock ur gonna lose more power.

Private_Shon said:
well lets just go with the box source, rather than internet sources, i recommend you get a better PSU first coz ur other equipment prob will use up the 80W and if you overclock ur gonna lose more power.
no, i won't be overclocking anything.

i did a search for a power supply wattage calculator and came up with this:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

I plugged in everything inside the respective boxes, and came up with 343watts....and the website claims that 343 watts are consumed only when under full load, that this amount would never be reached under normal operation

so i was thinking...480watts is enough for a 7800gt, right? or am i wrong and should get a 550 watt or something?

Give evga a call, They can answer all your questions and are great to deal with. Even tho you figure you only need approx 350 watts evga says 400 min and that would make 480 fine. I use antec TPII 480 and am ok.

oh yea, good idea. i'll try that tomorrow when they work. i'll also give ibuypower a call also if the card can run in my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom