Buying a new comp...Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCubanator

Beta member
Hey all, new to the forum. I've been looking around a lot of different site forums trying to find one that had good comments... most of them just say "build your own n00b'. Unfortunatly i dont really think i have the knowledge, time or skill. i dont think i'd have the hardware background and technical skill to know whats wrong with my computer should it break after i build it. I've tried a local company, unfortunatly they installed a tiny 60mm fan on the cpu cooler which made a ton of noise and when i got it i was unaware, the computer's temps were near its max level.

Anyway, my hope in local companies and myself is diminished so i revert to online companies. I started off looking at alienware... but i knew they were quite expensive. So i tried looking at ABS computers... however their prices jumped recently due to upgrading their AMDs to 939 pin processors. Long story short, Ive been looking much more seriously at iBuyPower and CyberPower. Cyberpower kind of makes me nervous, it has lowish reseller ratings at about 6.80 i believe while iBuyPowers is 7.80 in the last 6 mo ... 8.50 overall. my price range hovers around $2000 as i looked at the cheaper vendors i tended to tack on extra stuff or better processors. at ABS, vicious and alienware i stuck with AMD's 3500+... at ibuypower and cyber i opted with the 939 pin FX 53.

Case ( [New !!!] Raidmax Samurai-908 Gaming Case w/420W Power Supply Titanium...[Available now] )
Power Supply ( 500 Watt Power Supply )
Processor ( [939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 FX-53 CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology )
Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink + 2 Extra Case Fans )
Motherboard ( [939-pin] Asus A8V-Deluxe w/LAN, 7.1 Sound, IEEE-1394, USB 2.0 8x AGP Motherboard )
Memory ( 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Corsair XMS PRO w/ LED Lights )
Video Card ( ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB W/DVI + TV OUT 8x AGP Video )
Hard Drive ( 80 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA] Western Digital 80 GB 7200 RPM SATA 8MB Cache Hard Drive )
2nd Hard Drive ( None )
Raid Controller ( None )
Raid Configuration ( None )
CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive - Sony Black )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive Black )
Sound Card ( 3D Wave Stereo Sound Onboard )
Speaker System ( [Black] Logitech Z-640 5.1 Surround Speakers + Subwoofer )
Fax Modem ( None )
Network Card ( 10/100 Network Onboard )
Floppy Drive ( None )
Zip Drive ( None )
Monitor ( None )
Keyboard ( Microsoft Internet Keyboard Beige )
Mouse ( Microsoft Optical Intelli-Mouse 5-Button Beige )
Meter Display ( Thermal Temperature LCD Display Black )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 6-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black )
Case Lighting ( None )
Case Round Cable ( None )
USB Port ( Build-in USB 2.0 Ports )
IEEE-1394 Fire Wire Card ( None )
TV Tuner ( None )
Operation System ( MS Windows XP Home Edition )
Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard Warranty + 3-Year i-Care Deluxe On-site Service + 24/7 Phone Support )
Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

This is the one from iBuyPower...I swore it was cheaper yesterday haha... If anyone has any opinions on whether or not i should add anything... or maybe go for the 3500+ or 3800+. Also noise is a factor and if anyone can tell me if these parts will be loud id appreciate it (maybe get the round cables to increase airflow and make it easier to cool?)

$2,188.25

One last thing i wanted to ask... does anyone know if the AMD 64's tend to be loud or require extreme cooling... i hate having a mini tornado in my room. And is the onboard sound decent... i mean im only getting 60 dollar speakers so im not looking for a sound system to blow me away. At the same time i dont want it to sound like the sounds coming out of a tin can

Sorry for being so long winded!

I'd see if they can downgrade the CPU to maybe a 3400+ and then upgrade the video cards, because your a major gamer then that will improve your FPS alot;)

Plus, it only comes with onboard audio? You might want to get a Audigy 2 sound card instead, sounds great and helps the CPU better:confused:

Thanks for the advice, i think im going to downgrade it to a 3500+, was wondering if anyone knew anything about the noise factor these computers tend to have as well as any more advice on graphics cards.

thanks

They should be fairly quiet; you'll probably still hear a low hum if you put your ear next to it, which isn't bad at all. Buy a Radeon video card (the 9800 that you've selected is fine). nVidia cards, especially the newest ones, are loud as hell. The fan on them is so big that it takes up the PCI slot NEXT to the AGP Slot! My GeForce 5600 performs fine, but it sounds like a DirtDevil with the case open!

Another online vender that you might want to look at is Monarch Computers. There reseller rating is better and they have alot of options...........worth a looksee.

hey thanks for the responses. I actualy have a monitor i picked up only a year ago... Its a 17'' viewable, lcd monitor... good refresh rate and everything.

This Monarch Computers seems like a pretty decent place. It doesnt seem lke they run specials like most of the other companies, nd their website seems a little... dated and inconvenient but they have a ton of options... So many that im having a hard time building one. I'm trying to keep it close to what i posted, only with a 3500+ and the total came to about 2200 i think i may have added too much in though im no sure. Thanks again for the advice i'll try toying around with monarch a bit more- their reseller rating is impressively high so it seems worth it.

ur budget it $2000... thats good... but not good enough if ur gonna get the x800, and a 20-30 inch monitor, and all the TOP of the market parts... stay high, but below the TOP parts... like some say, stay with the 9800 256MB Radeon, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ will do perfect... 17 - 19 inch monitor.. and if ur BIG on games, 160GB HD.. K8V Deluxe motherboard... 500Watt PSU... a good sound card.. 1GB PC3200 RAM...and put like 4 fans on it (includin the one on the CPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom