A Breath of Fresh Air from all the Drama

Zekester2097

In Runtime
From all this microtransaction, loot box, Epic Games, etc type of nonsense, that's bringing down the gaming industry as of right now, I started looking around for some older games n stuff that'll give me the 'right' experience, rather than having the higher ups at these companies trying to suck every penny from my wallet.

I started re-purchasing the older games I used to play a lot.

So far, I've gotten GTAIV: The Complete Edition, and Black Ops II.

But then I had a little idea.

Team Fortress 2?

Yeah, the game's been out forever, from back when Valve made games (Artifact doesn't count, lol) But, from my perspective, after sinking a bit of time with an old favorite of mine, one of the games I played, back when I had to use my laptop (Which could only run stuff like GMod or TF2, with some settings turned down. Ran vanilla Minecraft at <10FPS), I've found that the game has kinda aged sorta like wine. Not paid to say this... I actually think it's a game worth sinking more time into, myself. Valve isn't trying to suck my checking account dry, and I can actually enjoy a game that doesn't have really any pay-walls. Of course, since it's free-to-play, the small bits I have to buy sometimes, like the $2.49 cost of opening the contracts menu, doesn't seem bad at all.

This game comes from an era where players had to unlock weapons, upgrades, etc, through experience, not by individually charging them a dollar or more per item. This is actually something I can stand behind, unlike the practices of a certain couple companies, nowadays...

In this day and age, where Steam is being challenged against the powertripping Fortnite, Inc, who keeps trying to buy out games, instead of trying to properly compete, I feel this is a pretty good choice, personally.

In your face, Epic Games, Team Fortress 2 is a Steam exclusive.

xd

This is why I have retro rigs, because at the end of the day older games were simply made better.

Older games were also way simpler and cheaper to make. I think people oversimplify it when they be like "Old games good, new games bad, modern devs suck". Yes some modern devs suck and do ****ty things, but at the same time, your average joe gamer is expecting more than ever. If a game like Team Fortress 2 came out in 2019 it'd be considered a indie type game. Small maps, simple art style, limited selection of characters etc.

Now people want every game to be in a photo realistic vast open world game with thousands of unique guns and items, while being fully online playable with campaigns and coop etc etc etc. It's way harder to developer, takes more money and is more complicated. But yes, many will argue that from a pure fun point of view games are maybe not as good as they used to be. Idk tbh, I feel like if I went back and tried to play a game from the 1990's or early 2000's I probably wouldn't enjoy them that much.

Older games were also way simpler and cheaper to make. I think people oversimplify it when they be like "Old games good, new games bad, modern devs suck". Yes some modern devs suck and do ****ty things, but at the same time, your average joe gamer is expecting more than ever. If a game like Team Fortress 2 came out in 2019 it'd be considered a indie type game. Small maps, simple art style, limited selection of characters etc.

Now people want every game to be in a photo realistic vast open world game with thousands of unique guns and items, while being fully online playable with campaigns and coop etc etc etc. It's way harder to developer, takes more money and is more complicated. But yes, many will argue that from a pure fun point of view games are maybe not as good as they used to be. Idk tbh, I feel like if I went back and tried to play a game from the 1990's or early 2000's I probably wouldn't enjoy them that much.
Besides the hero selection (they started small), Overwatch would like to have a word.

The problem has been the same for 12 years now since Crysis was released. More concentration on graphics and pandering in various ways, less about the game and gameplay. Greed also plays a big part since gaming is "cool" now. People who like to repeat what you said tend to forget that games back in the day were mostly made from passion and less about stumping E3 and dollar signs. That played a huge role in why games were so good then. Now games are typically rehashed to make money, and new ideas are pressed heavily by publishers to reach a target. Games aren't about gaming anymore.

Back
Top Bottom