BluRay Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
How long do you think before PC games get released on Blue Ray? We have blue ray players and burners for the pc. When will games get released? Are they even looking into it? A lot of questions I know but it is an interesting thought.

Re: Blue Ray Gaming?

Don't really see the point really, Blue ray gives a great picture but games are coming off the HD not the disk so the quality of blue ray is really a mute point.

Dauntae

But you can store so much more on a Blue Ray disk then a DVD. So if Blue Ray fazes into the computer gaming scene. Games can become much longer and more detailed. I personally like a game that takes longer then 10 hours to beat and has a lot more content.

I think it will take a while.

If we look at past trends, DVD Rom drives came out about 1996. It was about 2000 where they start to become mainstream with PC. And it was not until late 2003 where we started seeing games coming out for DVD Rom drive. Add another 2 or 3 more years before DVD Rom games became mainstream. So it took about 10 years. Likewise, i see the same happening with Blu-Ray. So at this stage, I would say at least another 4-7 more years before we start seeing titles coming out on Blu-Ray.

But you can store so much more on a Blue Ray disk then a DVD. So if Blue Ray fazes into the computer gaming scene. Games can become much longer and more detailed. I personally like a game that takes longer then 10 hours to beat and has a lot more content.

However how many people here have BluRay in thier PCs?
There is no reason for one to start putting the media out on the market if not many people have the hardware to run it. BluRay still seems to be used only on high end PCs.

That makes perfect sense. True many people don't have them. But I can see many people getting them as the price comes down. Blue Ray does look beautiful on high def and I think that the as much content as blue ray can handle once games start to become produced on it, they will become better. Not saying games nowadays arent great and don't have great stories. When they hit blue ray I think they will become longer and more in depth. L4D and Crysis and COD4 are great but I want to see a title whose story will last longer without having to buy part 2 and part 3.

blu-ray will be used for games, not because of quality but because of the sheer amount of storage space.

dvd's have better quality than cd's, but theyre only used for games because they can hold so much more space than a cd can.

Blue ray is only just a picture Fiction

...eh?

I think we'll still have multiple DVD-DLs for our games for a while yet. I don't really see storage space becoming a problem until the next Total War game (or the one after), seeing as Empire takes 16-17GB (including updates and DLC) I imagine at that point blu-rays will be much easier (maybe if they released a multi-DVD version and a single BD-R version?).
I definitely don't see games using Blu-ray discs until one of them costs less than the multiple-DVD solution required today.

blu-ray will be used for games, not because of quality but because of the sheer amount of storage space.

dvd's have better quality than cd's, but theyre only used for games because they can hold so much more space than a cd can.

That is exactly my point. Quality in my case is the in game story. I am just trying to figure out when we have games whos length and story match that of MGS4.

Two things to consider:

1.) Digital Media - Steam & D2D

2.) Storage Capacity vs. Storage Needed

Digital media is very popular. Many people don't want a physical disc anymore.

I can't see PC games needing more storage than a DVD at this point. Unless of course over the next few years game devs. start producing games that use "Full HD cutscenes". The only thing that I could see needing Blu-ray at this point is X-plane:

(This is X-Plane 9.00 on DVD for Mac, Windows, AND Linux platforms! This version runs on all 3 platforms and ships with SIX dual-layer DVD's! (To hold all the scenery from -70 to 74 degrees latitude!)

Very good question overlord20.

Yea, considering a BD - DL holds about 50 GB there is nowhere near that much need yet in games. A few games out or coming out may need the capacity of a single layer BD, but cost benefit of making them on that media is probably not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom