Black Ops Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Fox

OCZ SSD Enthusiast
When I turn on Black Ops, it resets my router and everyone loses connection. I wait for a few seconds, my computer reconnects, and then I can play.

Customer (John Smith) 01/17/2011 06:09 AM
I do not want to go through the trouble of upgrading my router - it was a pain the first time...but I'll think about it. I think it'd be better if treyarch didn't pound so much stuff down it's throat thinking that everyone has a brand new router..at least not all at once..

Response (Edward Keeley) 01/17/2011 06:00 AM
Hello & Thank you for contacting Activision!

I can't speak to that. If you are unwilling or unable to do what we ask, we will be unable to help you further with this problem.

Customer (John Smith) 01/17/2011 05:52 AM
In my previous question about this problem, the guy recommended updating firmware...

Response (Edward Keeley) 01/17/2011 05:37 AM

The game does not access the router's firmware. That would be required to cause the router to restart. The game does require a large amount of data to pass through for online gaming. A failing router would not be able to handle this.

Customer (John Smith) 01/17/2011 05:20 AM
It works perfectly fine with 4 computer + a printer and all can be using the internet at the same time...watching videos, playing games etc...even when nobody else is connected, the router still resets, then black ops gives me a "no connection found" error and then i wait a couple seconds for my computer to connect again and then black ops connects again and it works just fine. There was a period of time when i first reinstalled it that it worked just fine, but it doesn't anymore. I just don't see how it can be the routers fault.

Response (Edward Keeley) 01/17/2011 05:14 AM

From what you describe, your router is on its last legs. The additional traffic from Black Ops is pushing it past its limit.

Customer (John Smith) 01/17/2011 05:11 AM
So you're telling me that Call of Duty: Black Ops now requires a NEW router? When I open the game, the router resets, then I reconnect and it works fine and I can play the game just fine. I'm just tired of having the router reseting especially when other people are on the network. I've already tried updating all the firmware and crap and nothing works. How is it possible that the game isn't causing the reseting when it ONLY resets whenever the game is turned on and it connects to the Black Ops server?

Response (Edward Keeley) 01/17/2011 05:06 AM

There is no way the game can cause that. I recommend you ask your internet provider for a replacement router.

Customer (John Smith) 01/17/2011 04:29 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it resets whenever I turn the game on.

Auto-Response 01/17/2011 04:28 AM
-

Title: Crash/freeze during install.
Link: Crash/freeze during install.

Title: The Call of Duty: Black Ops servers are unavailable at this time.
Link: The Call of Duty: Black Ops servers are unavailable at this time.

Title: The Call of Duty: Black Ops servers is not available at this time.
Link: The Call of Duty: Black Ops servers is not available at this time.

Title: Problem connecting to an online game.
Link: Problem connecting to an online game.

Title: I can't see any servers in the server list.
Link: I can't see any servers in the server list.

Customer (John Smith) 01/17/2011 04:28 AM
I previously had problems with my router reseting and fatal error message. I reinstalled and no longer get the fatal error, and the router reseting problem was gone as well. Now it is back. I've tried re-installing again with no luck (several times). It appeared to be that whenever the wireless network on the router was turned on (so someone was connected to it), it would shut down. That's the only thing I can think of that would reset my router like that...

(My name isn't John Smith...)

That's what the customer support gave me...

Anyone else have this problem?

Update router firmware.. If that doesn't work, reduce your game settings. Still having problems after that, I would just back up my saved games and reinstall.

I've already updated firmware. Reducing game settings would do nothing; it resets the router when turning the game on. I've reinstalled 4-5 times. Nothing works. Looks like treyarch just made it too dependent on having newer routers. :(

Well, to follow up on your idea, I went ahead and plugged in one of the old routers I have lying around. It worked fine. My router is 4-5 years old, so it must be a random deal. I have herd of very few cases of this happening and it seems to go away.

Try plugging directly into your modem (given your modem and router aren't the same thing) and see if it works. If your modem and router are one, then contact your ISP to get a new one. They shouldn't fuss to much about this. If you are wireless, try plugging directly into the router and/or modem.

Go to your local store and get a new router, if it works you know its your router. If it doesn't work then it something on the computer end and you can return the router you just bought.

And treyarch is not too dependent on new routers as this case you are describing is very few and far between. As I mentioned I had no problem on my 4-5 y/o wireless router. And right now I am running a WRT54G which isn't that new and they could be had for pretty cheap. They are $50 on newegg.com right now.

Newegg.com - Linksys WRT54GL 802.11b/g Wireless Broadband Router up to 54Mbps/ Compatible with Open Source DD-WRT (not pre-load)

:O I figured out the problem today! I have my router in another room and I have wired internet running throughout my house and there are two computers in this room and I put a 1gb switch in there..my router's only 100mb! Black Ops thought it was 1gb, so that's how much it was shoving through there. I can unplug it from the switch plug it directly into the wall (direct router connection) and then it opens just fine. I'm going to try to find a way to make windows see the 1gb switch as 100mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom