BF3/Origin showing me no love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I posted this on my clan's site as well, but thought I may get better results here,

I had a hound of a time getting the beta to install. I ended up getting a copy of someone's installation folders, putting them in my Origin folders, and then making Origin update them.

When I got my copy of BF3 I tried to install it and it installed, but it would not launch. I uninstalled it and tried it again... same thing.

OK, so I decised to uninstall both BF3 and Origin. i used a third party app so as to remove all traces of both. I then install the latest version of Origin and try to install BF3 only to get a message that says, "Download directory not found. Please verify the Origin download files setting and restart your download." This is the exact same message I originally got when trying to install the beta.

Origin is installed on E: drive, E:\Program Files (x86)\Origin. I have set the installation path as E:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin Games. Installers are set to be stored at E:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\DownloadCache. I have checked both to keep game installers and to show timestamps.

I am running Win7 Ultimate x64. My specs are AMD 965 x4, ASUS M4A785TD-EVO mobo, 8GB (4x2GB) RAM, 60GB SSD, 250GB program drive, GTX 260 Core 216.

When I tried to reinstall BF3 (from disk) I choose English, click Install, and then click Next. I immediately get a popup notification that is then covered by the "INSTALL Battlefield 3 Limited Edition" one where I just clicked Next. I have to close this screen to get to the original popup and am asked if I am sure I want to cancel installing BF3. No, I don't want to cancel but have no choice as it will no accept a Next click at this point. I click Finish on the cancellation and can now see the original popup that says "Download directory not found. Please verify the Origin download files setting and restart your download." When I try to change the directory to be more specific, like to make it point to the "cache" folder within DownloadCache, or to my account name folder within "cache" I am told "The selected directory is already in use. Please select a different directory."

The only thing I have found online was one guy who said he formatted and reinstalled Win7 to get it to work. While I may end up going that route I would much rather not as it would take me a couple of days to get everything set back up, longer if it is done during days I work.

So... anyone got any magic they can send my way? :(

The closest I can find is HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > origin > shell > open > command > (Default) | REG_SZ | "E:\Program File (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe" "%1"

That's the only location mentioned with "origin".

EDIT: I went through and recreated duplicates of the default locations used by Origin on my E: drive but still no luck.

I am sure you are not making this mistake.. but are you trying to launch from the Battlelog website ? the game won't run from Origin directly.
I have a friend on my Steam contacts who made this mistake, so i thought i would at least check.

Try going in to disc management, and splitting your E drive into two logical volumes, install origin and the game on the new empty volume. Remove all traces of origin from the registry first.

A bit of a pain, but it would at least help find the problem.

I tried both. Since I removed and reinstalled Origin I can't even install BF3 now.

I may give that a shot, at least as a last ditch effort before going for a full OS reinstall.

Just a shot, but try installing Origin in the default location on your C drive. I know your drive is an SSD and that you might not have room, but at least see if the installation will continue. If it does cancel it and then you'll know that Origin is being picky with your E drive. Couple other thoughts:
Make sure you're an administrator...just sayin' :p
Don't change your download and cache directories...let it use the defaults
Make sure you don't have any special, unique permissions set on that E drive.
Try a new drive if you have one.

I also installed Origin on a non-system drive (in my case, K) and left everything as default and it installed fine, however, I got it through digital distro.

I'm just still irate that they're using Origin and not Steam for this bad boy. It almost affected my purchase...I just can't pass this one up though! :D

I did try installing Origin on C:. I also tried installing BF3 on C:. And, yes, I am admin; i use the hidden admin account.

I had the same problem with the beta, but I don't think I will be able to find a "download" of anyone's installation files this time around.

Do you mean the game files, or the actual installation media? Cause you have the install media on disc, right?

The installed game files. I ordered mine through NewEgg so I have it on DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom