bf2, long load times (no way... couldnt be)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panther

Baseband Member
right, anyway

im getting greater than 5 minute load times from the moment i press join server, to actually being able to play the game without it lagging like ****.

Now, for a while ive been suspecting my RAM, however my hdd subsys is definatly not the fastest in the world, nor is my system in general;

d875pbzlk (god dont get me started, i want to throw it out the window)
skt 478 3.0ghz pressy - water cooled of course, always nice to heat the house with a processor for less than the cost of natural gas though
1gb kingston hyperx memory D/C
120gb seagate POS hdd
radeon 9800pro w/ an r350 core flashed to xt anyway :amazed: :eek:

frames are surprisingly decent, minimum of 28 fps @ 1024x768 w/ stuff on medium and geometry on high.

im trying to save this system for another 8-12 months, so far bf2 is about the highest qual game ive played/will prolly play for a while... addictions are dangerous things :)

anyway, reducing loading times i gather would be as simple as getting another 512mb-1gig of ram slapping it in, and done with it?

or is there a hidden system bottleneck, any advice would be very helpful

thanks

Can't help with your problem, but how do you go about flashong your pro to an xt? Mine's the R350 core too, got around about the same sort of system, but I get 25-35 FPS @ 1024x768 w/ everything on low and range @ 100%.

Do you think the difference could be the XT 9800?

EDIT: I've started a new topic on this one in the Hardware section....

To flash a 9800pro all you have to do is get the bios onto a floppy drive, boot from it, and flash it :D

Anyways getting a GB of ram would help, and getting a faster hdd.

BF2 load times are just really long in BF2.

However you would benefit from more RAM and a faster hard drive.

My solution was to just give up BF2 and play classic counterstrike, the aim in source feels weird to me so I dont like it. Way too easy to get a headshot.

IF that hdd is sata, buy another raid them together. I am always the first or second one in the game and i love it :D

Takes about less then 1-2 minutes to get in. Once that usually it takes less then 30 seconds cause i already loaded the map and its probably stored in my ram i guess :p

Ram is your main problem, I went from one gig to 2 gigs and the difference was amazing.

Absolutely MADWAD. 2GIG's limits the amount of HDD thrashing due to windows using the dreaded swap file, which is slower then slow.

I'm normally the first one in ever game. Sometimes i'm in so quickly, that i actually think something is wrong because other players don't join for 20 to 30 seconds after i've already flown in a airplane across the map and bombed the main base... lol yeah that's right... I do that. Because it's always done to me...

Well i don't know what to say......it may depend on which Mobo you are using because it did wonders for my Bf:2 gaming. Also i'm constantly one of the first players to spawn after a map loads. So i again say, buy some more Ram, i started with one and dumped it up to two for a dramatic performance increase and decreased loading times.

Havok - i can't say what your saying is wrong because your probably right but when talking about how it affects BF:2 you are very wrong. 2 gigs dual channel runs BF:2 much better than one gig.

second hard drive is on the way, and i found a deal on a 6800gs for 180 so i took it :) promptly unlocked to 16/6 and overclocked to ultra speeds :D :D :D .

gonna sell my r350 core 9800pro and my gig of ram for 2 gigs and 3 bottles of bawls :amazed:

thanks for the help guys, cant wait to frag some mec choppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom