Battlefield 2 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

NismoR34Drift

Solid State Member
Hey Everyone,

So I just bought a new PC - HP a6230N, Vista Home Premium, 3 gig ram, 400 gig hdd, Amd 5600+ dual core, upgraded to a 500w PSU and an Nvidia E-GeForce 8500 GT (512 PCI-E) card. My problem is that when I log into Battlefield 2, Every few seconds (30-45 maybe) I get a message stating something to the ends of "You are experiencing connection problems" or something like that - it's about a 1-2 second hiccup in my game.

Problem is, 1-2 seconds in a helicopter when you're flying = you upside down flying straight towards a building. I've done everything I can think of to try to fix this - I run on a wireless nextwork, and have a USB G adapter (Linksys) and the Linksys WRT54G router. I've disabled the UAC in Vista, turned off Windows Defender (completely - even so it doesn't boot with the machine), and turned off the Windows Firewall. I've also uninstalled Norton Internet Security 08. I'm not running any virus/spyware protection, as I don't really do much on the internet besides gaming.

I'm about 8 feet above the router, literally. I have an excellet signal strength, so I'm not sure what's causing this hiccup. I just downloaded a patch from Windows for virtual memory allocation, (located here Virtual address space usage in Windows game development ) so I'm going to see if that fixes anything, but I'm pretty sure it's not my system per se, but something network related.

I have yet to open any ports on the router for port forwarding, as I don't THINK this is an issue. I could be wrong.

Any thoughts? I'm dying here - I even get lag in World of Warcraft when I go to loot. My pings aren't high, but around 140ish is much higher than it should be considering I'm on cable internet and no one in my area has it.

Wireless lags no matter what you do.

Definitely forward the ports for BF2, as that can help.

Another shot in the dark is to manually update PunkBuster. PB has been causing some headaches of late, but a manual update seems to fix them. Go here:
PunkBuster Online Countermeasures
and download PBSetup.exe. Follow the directions on the page to get the job done.

Yeah, I should definitely check out port forwarding, but I've already manually updated PunkBuster as I couldn't connect to servers and was getting a PB error.

Could be the servers you are in. If someone is hacking in the server, it usually causes a lot of lag. That's one of the tipoffs my clan uses to start looking... that, and someone 75 and 2 in Jalalabad...

I had that PB problem. I tried to update it and it just didn't work for some reason. I just reinstalled the game and it worked great after that. Also maybe you should check to see if your graphics card driver is up2date.

Wireless lags no matter what you do.

Definitely forward the ports for BF2, as that can help.

Another shot in the dark is to manually update PunkBuster. PB has been causing some headaches of late, but a manual update seems to fix them. Go here:
PunkBuster Online Countermeasures
and download PBSetup.exe. Follow the directions on the page to get the job done.

Wireless never lagged on the PS3, infact it was as good or better than by Gigabit ethernetcable (don't ask how).

Battlefield 2 is a notoriously buggy game, and pings are sky high in that game compared to others, were i get 25ping in TF2 ona UK server i get triple this in a UK BF2 server.

Ping has to do with location, as in the distance from you to the server. My clan's servers are in VA and NY, so my pings are really good. When I am playing outside my clan's servers, I always order the servers by ping so as to get the best connections.

Buggy? Yeah, it will crash now and then, but not too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom