Bad FarCry 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, It's not DRM itself that really bugs me.. Well this kinda. **** EA. This revoke thing works out fine.

But what else is this crap installing on my system without me knowing?

Any rootkits and they aren't getting my money :/ i don't want FC2 for multiplayer anyway.

Hmm, It's not DRM itself that really bugs me.. Well this kinda. **** EA. This revoke thing works out fine.

But what else is this crap installing on my system without me knowing?

Any rootkits and they aren't getting my money :/ i don't want FC2 for multiplayer anyway.

Well there is already a lawsuit going down against DRM on spore. Apparently the user gets no warning or choice as to what DRM installs on the computer. I don't think DRM will be around for very long, if consumers continue to revolt and stop buying games that contain this security embedded into it, game companies will have to change their stance.

Nah, DRM will never go away. If anything it'll get worse.

And yeah after I reformatted my pc I sold my copy of spore to a friend who didn't care. lol

I dunno, they'll probably just win the lawsuit on the condiditon they put somethign in the ToS stating their DRM can do whatever it wants or something.
Maybe a warning on the box stating if the user doesn't agree to not buy it. I dunno.

There's no way we'll ever win out. I know darn well EA's not getting any more of my money. Unless it's xbox related I guess.

They think this DRM will prevent pirating, but it's only drawing people to do so. You can't fight your own customers. The reality though is that you can just activate the game on Steam when you buy it and install it as many times as you want through that, and Steam won't have to include any of the DRM files.

I wonder about that steam thing. Would make sense and all, since everythign to do with installing, launching and running the games is handled by the client eh?

Wonder if I'll end up gambling and buying it through steam (was going to anyway, too lazy to drive to the store hahahaha), or just getting it from some forums :/ Usually the ones you get from mr torrence dont have that DRM crap anyway.

edit~ Nah just checked steam's site, same ****.
Title: Far Cry® 2
Genre: Action
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Publisher: Ubisoft
Release Date: Oct 22, 2008
Languages: English
3rd-party DRM: SecuROMâ„¢
5 machine activation limit
Far Cry® 2 on Steam

It's being released on the 22nd on steam. Says the same on the official page.

Cool gives me a full day of fable 2

DRM will die some day but not in the next 5 - 10 years. My problem with companies that heavy use DRM is the invasive nature of such things as Root Kits, there prity hard to detect when the OS is running the best way to find them is to boot up a Linux Live CD that is designed to detect them (forgot the name of this distrobutioin). I wouldnt mind if some form of copy portection was installed that phoned home to say "am i a legit copy?" but even then that is worng.

The simple fact is people don't like paying so much for a game £30 - 40 in some cases with out the proff that its worth it.

Yeah I feel about the same.
Though I sure as **** wouldn't want them calling lol.
and sorry crawler. been watching souleater and hit few pretty tense episodes XD

They think this DRM will prevent pirating, but it's only drawing people to do so. You can't fight your own customers. The reality though is that you can just activate the game on Steam when you buy it and install it as many times as you want through that, and Steam won't have to include any of the DRM files.

This has been stated before a defense of Crysis Warhead/Steam argument, but the fact is they stated that the steam version is the exact same as the game boxed version in terms of DRM/rootkits. The Steam version also has activations. On its product page it says:
3rd-party DRM: SecuROMâ„¢
5 machine activation limit

The only thing we can hope for is that the class action lawsuit causes EA to lose big and they pull out DRM or do some other non evasive method. Oh and avoiding their games is going to be harder and harder to do...I mean they basically publish like 50% of video games now adays...

It says "5 machine limit". You can install it all you want on the same machine with no problem. You would have to change your motherboard five times to reach the limit. While some here do build quite often, I doubt any would build five times before they were already tired of the game and done with it.

Besides, there are some who buy they game and then download the DRM-free version. A matter of scruples as they prefer to pay for the game but not bother with the DRM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom