ATTN : STEAM USERS. READ THIS. Account Security Issue

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I'm sure you're all read stories of Steam users getting their accounts "hacked". Generally through fishing sites or telling people your password.

However it seems that Steam users with old accounts, even if you regularly log on to steam and have the most up-to-date version, may be more vulnerable to having their accounts stolen.

What happened.

Value acknowledges security issue.

Read the full Steam forum thread.

How to check if you're affected:
  • Run Steam.
  • Goto "File" -> "Settings"
  • Look at "Contact Email:"
  • If your email address is followed by (unverified) you are affected.

How to fix the issue:
  • Verify your email address with Steam.

I just checked my account and I was vulnerable to the same issue. I log on to Steam at least every few days and have an up-to-date version of Steam. I had no idea that Steam made basic account security opt-in, rather than just put it into one of their regular software updates.

Thanks mate! Good find! (+ rep!) I was unverified as well. This is crazy that they haven't sent out notification or anything about this.

It was a double wake up call for me as I found out that my steam account was still registered with my old Optushome email address, and Optus are in the process of taking down my optushome domain. I thought I already migrated every thing over to gmail. Obviously this was not he case with steam.

Repped! Thanks for this. Do you think they're being stolen to download the games, or to get financial information?

Repped! Thanks for this. Do you think they're being stolen to download the games, or to get financial information?

The only thing that I see stolen here are
1. Games. However these you can only play if the steam account is valid.

2. Game Serial Numbers. Might be a chance that you can use this same serial number on Non-Steam install of the game. That provided that the game dev has not listed that these serial numbers need to be playied via Steam.

3. Game Accounts if the account is steam releated. Games like account that are tied to steam. For example Team Fortress or Counter Strike. Other games that are requiring another 3rd party validation will should not be affected. Eg. Guild Wars where some one would really need to hack into my ncSoft account in order to play that.

I seriously don't think that Steam would store any account details with purchased games or my account. It's not like it has cached my credit card details.

I was too lazy to click your links, but I did verify my email. Thank you.

Fortunately, there is nothing for anyone to steal from me. I'm all retail. I only have the program because dow2 makes you use it.

Thank you KB for this thread. Because of this thread I was able to protect my account by verifying my email address. It was (unverified).

I tried to give you rep you but was unable to because I've repped you for something else lately and must spread some around? Hopefully, someone whom can rep you will do so because this is a very worthy thread to gain rep from.

I just gave him some. I always forget about the existence of rep, so I usually don't do it. Thanks for reminding me.

Back
Top Bottom