Ah man Games for windows on Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phase-Six

In Runtime
Do I need to buy vista to play all the games for windows games? I know I need to buy a DX10 card but was wondering if a os of Vista was required. I really wanna play those games (Like crysis) but not switch because of all the things I read and seen about it.:mad:

I know supreme commander (coming out tomorrow) will have a dx9 and dx10 mode, so i would imagine other dx10 games will have a dx9 mode.

I mean, there is still alot of ppl with dx9 cards and XP so i would think coming up games will have dx9 modes. The dx9 modes might not look as good as the dx10 modes but they will still be playable.

darkop16 said:
I know supreme commander (coming out tomorrow) will have a dx9 and dx10 mode, so i would imagine other dx10 games will have a dx9 mode.

I mean, there is still alot of ppl with dx9 cards and XP so i would think coming up games will have dx9 modes. The dx9 modes might not look as good as the dx10 modes but they will still be playable.

Well I see what your saying. So with my Supa 1337 GRFX card im getting I should get vista? CAN I STILL PLAY SOURCE??? I heard alot about source not running nice on it.:eek:

I would think dx10 would be backwards compatible.

I know that i can play games like shogun total war, ghost recon (the original) on my current computer. The requirements for ghost recon are dx8 and shogun is dx7 :eek:.

But anyways, yeah dx10 should be backwards compatible unless Microsoft wants to just make a lot of games in stores now totally obsolete :p.

edit: this is the best i could find on google. There were some articles saying it wouldn't be backwards compatible but they were written in 2005 so i would think Microsoft would have changed its mind.

Anyways, check second paragraph under " Vista & Graphics Hardware." It says march 2007 so i think its up to date.

If anyone else has a better article pls share as im kinda curious now. I searched microsoft but it didn't really jump out and say it.

Well what Im worried about is vista taking up alot of ram for a normal computer, And I want to keep XP but still play the new DX10 games (games for windows) without the switch. Is it possible? I know it has backwards compatiblity but just wondering about XP and DX10 games.

*There is no Direct X 10 for XP, so you can not play DX10 games in windows.

*Games for windows does not mean Direct X 10, it only means the games have passed certain qualifications to get Microsofts "Badge of Approval", and are potentially eligible to be a part of Microsofts Live Anywhere system.

*Many of the games coming out that will support DX10 will also support DX9, at least for the near future. Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, and Crysis are all good examples.

*DX10 IS backwards compatible, although you may have some trouble. As far as I know, Steam (and all the games within it) run just fine under Vista.

The only thing you have to worry about it having a DX10 capable graphics card, and once you get that, pray that stable Vista drivers for said card are released reasonably soon.

Dexaroni said:
*Many of the games coming out that will support DX10 will also support DX9, at least for the near future. Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, and Crysis are all good examples.

Exactly... You'll probably not see DX9 support disappear for a very long time.

Enterpriser said:
Just waiting on DX 11 :) but seriously, you can only hope proper drivers are written.

Yeah thats what im kinda mad about. They should already have these things as vista came out. :X But would 2gb O ram run it fine?

Phase-Six said:
Yeah thats what im kinda mad about. They should already have these things as vista came out. :X But would 2gb O ram run it fine?

Well... considering that pretty much all prebuilt computers that come with Vista have around 1gb of RAM (some are 512), I would say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom