7900 for Oblivion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Do you think the requirements for Oblivion at high settings at a resolution of 1280x1024 would be as steep as a 7900GTX or 7800GTX 512 SLI? From the looks of the screenshots and from what I've heard around forums, it wouldn't suprise me, being as its comparable to UT2007 graphically. This might just be a game I have to wait on.

Well since there is not as much going on because UT2007 is very fast paced like it's predicessors and because of that you want some high fps where 50-60fps is ideal (to me anyway), a single 7800GTX 512MB will probalby max OB out and a 7800GT/X might as well (probably on 10 x 7 resolution) becuase you only need 30-40 fps (for morrowind anyway) to have good looking gameplay. But also dual core CPUs will give a noticable performance increase.

I don't think you need a 7900 or a X1900XT/X to play it at max but im sure they will.

I would not be suprised if the 7800GT could only play this on 1024x768, which is NOT what I was wanting to hear, because I can't play at that resolution because of my LCD. Ill probably have to wait on this game until I get a better card.

This is a sad day for PC gaming when today's games are so demanding that even the higher end cards like the 7800GT/X struggle with them. Maybe I should just get an XBOX360 and give up PC gaming.

You're giving up just becuase you can't max out a games graphics on games that are clearly designed for the next generation of cards?

For me I'm not getting into PC gaming just for the graphics but the gameplay, it seems to me that gaming has become more focused on graphical showcase then the actual game itself. Just like Sony at E3 2005.

I have fun playing UT2004 on low setting and just becuase you will only play 2007 on med/high or whatever setting you will play on your not going to enjoy the game?

Remember the formula

gameplay > graphics

But I do understand that if you buy today's top end it becomes yesterday news, but that don't mean you won't be able to enjoy the games with decent graphics.

If UE 3.0 looks so good now would it not still look great even at med settings?

In UT2007's case just cause I can't see the great detail on the guys face becuase I'm too busy jumping and shooting flak at them doesn't mean the game will look like crap. You won't be able to see the detail of the people in very fast pace games like UT because everything moves so fast you won't be able to notice very much except the textures on your gun/vehicles and the world around you. I could disable shadows on models, turn model textures to low and wouldn't affect much when playing deathmatch.

But in Oblivion's case you will see the detail in everything, but this also means that you don't need as much frames to enjoy it.

You can't expect to max out games that are specifically designed to push the graphical boundries of the video game industery.

Beefcake said:
You're giving up just becuase you can't max out a games graphics on games that are clearly designed for the next generation of cards?

For me I'm not getting into PC gaming just for the graphics but the gameplay, it seems to me that gaming has become more focused on graphical showcase then the actual game itself. Just like Sony at E3 2005.

I have fun playing UT2004 on low setting and just becuase you will only play 2007 on med/high or whatever setting you will play on your not going to enjoy the game?

Remember the formula

gameplay > graphics

But I do understand that if you buy today's top end it becomes yesterday news, but that don't mean you won't be able to enjoy the games with decent graphics.

If UE 3.0 looks so good now would it not still look great even at med settings?

In UT2007's case just cause I can't see the great detail on the guys face becuase I'm too busy jumping and shooting flak at them doesn't mean the game will look like crap. You won't be able to see the detail of the people in very fast pace games like UT because everything moves so fast you won't be able to notice very much except the textures on your gun/vehicles and the world around you. I could disable shadows on models, turn model textures to low and wouldn't affect much when playing deathmatch.

But in Oblivion's case you will see the detail in everything, but this also means that you don't need as much frames to enjoy it.

You can't expect to max out games that are specifically designed to push the graphical boundries of the video game industery.

Everything you said is 100% true, but they are pushing the graphical boundries way too fast, and you are right that all PC games are now are graphical showcases. All trends have to come to an end though, so eventually hopefully this will slow down and high end cards last a bit longer.

It seems like now, you have to buy a new card for about every wave of games that come out, i.e. 6800 for Doom 3/HalfLife 2, 7800 for FEAR, CoD 2, 7900 for Oblivion, G80 for UT2007....its just never going to stop, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way and is just plain sick of it. That is why we have seen such a decline in PC gaming and such a surge on the console side. If only consoles could use keyboard/mouse....

Yes you are right when they are pushing it a bit to fast.

You get a 7800GT/X, then comes the 7900/X1900XT(X)

You get the one of those then the G80/R600 comes out, you finally get it then...

the 8900/R6-- comes out... When will it stop!

It seems to be a new group of cards every 6 or so months.

Maybe you just have to learn not to be so finecky about the graphics. I dont know how people see a huge difference between 1280x1024 and 1024x768 on LCDs. I can run mine at 800x600 and still not really notice it. 7800gt you have huh, I really wouldnt worry just play it at 1024x768 if you have to. You are acting like the 7800gt card is a piece of garbage, which it isnt. Maybe the reason yours looks worse at lower resolutions is because you have a 19 inch lcd, which IMO sucks compared to a 17 incher. 17 inchers have a lot smaller pixel pitch or whaever its called, meaning the pixels are all closer together thus it's sharper.

Remember, even though graphics are being pushed by software they will be compatible for older hardware. It's dumb when people say OMG MY 7800gtx 512 will suck at ut2007!! Yes it won't run it at the absolute best but it will run it pretty **** well. Game developers are not goin to exclude almost the entire market by setting gigantic requirements, it makes no sense business wise.

You are right about the 17" vs. 19" deal with the LCD. 17 ichers I've seen look okay at 1024x768, but 19 inchers look absolutely horrible. Im probably going to take a break from PC gaming for a while, just play the games I have, then upgrade later on for newer games. I can't afford to keep upgrading for games upon release.

People keep saying it makes no sense business wise to exlude the market by setting gigantic requirements...well this is true, but that is not what developers are doing. Gaming today is about pushing the graphical envelope, and they dont care if people with lower end systems can play it because thats not who they are marketting it to. FEAR is a great example of this. FEAR is so demanding that you need at least a 6800 GT/GS to play it well. Considering the masses who use integrated graphics and low-end GeForce FX cards, I say they have alienated most of the market.

I haven't heard much about whats comming after unreal engine 3, but at the rate its going now, they will push it so far that UE3 to whatever new engine they produce will look like Half Life 2 does to UE3 today.

The requirements thing you say is somewhat true, you are being a little extreme though. My friend played FEAR on a 9600 pro fine, my other friend plays BF 2 on a 9200, Just on medium/low settings.

Mr_Threepwood said:
The requirements thing you say is somewhat true, you are being a little extreme though. My friend played FEAR on a 9600 pro fine, my other friend plays BF 2 on a 9200, Just on medium/low settings.

BF2 on a 9200...i dont see how, it says on the box that minimum supported is the FX 5700.

HL2 was a great game, it had very convincing graphics, and didn't need to kill everybody's graphics cards. It would be nice to see more Source engine games and even Doom 3 engine games before everything moves to UE3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom