3 Questions about the i5 for Gaming

ruzzi

Baseband Member
I got 3 questions about the i5 processor for a desktop I'll be building:

1) I was told that an i5 6600K doesn't necessarily enhance gaming since its for overclocking. And that instead I get an i5 6500. Is this true?

2) Does overclocking prolong the life of a computer so you don't have to spend extra on upgrading on buying another processor?

3) Is it true you dont need a cooler for the i5 6500 since its not used for overclocking?

Last edited:
1) True, though you can also get an i5 6600 (without the K).

2) Mostly true, although CPU is not the bottleneck it used to be so it probably won't matter.

3) All CPUs need cooling, whether it's stock Intel one or an aftermarket cooling. You have to have a cooler.

1) True,

2) Mostly true, although CPU is not the bottleneck it used to be so it probably won't matter.

Just to clarify, youre saying that overclocking doesn't increase frames per sec when gaming, right?

------- EDIT -------
As to you're 2nd answer, I'm somewhat confused. Are you saying that overclocking prolongs a computer so that upgrading in the future isn't necessary? So should I buy the i5 6600K to overclock it ?

Last edited:
Overclocking will only help when you're CPU bound. 90% of the time on modern games with a newer CPU you'll be GPU bottlenecked.
Excuse me, but I don't understand your explanation. Can you reclarify it in a different way?

I am using an i5(older version) myself and it has worked well for a few years now across most software and games. Fallout 4 gave me my first hiccup in display and I never clock my cpu.

I am using an i5(older version) myself and it has worked well for a few years now across most software and games. Fallout 4 gave me my first hiccup in display and I never clock my cpu.
Fallout 4 can be played on even older rigs. Shouldn't give you a problem.

I guess it comes to show you that its more about the GPU than the CPU that determines the playability of games.

Back
Top Bottom