19" LCD at 1024x768....

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
1024x768 is the absolute standard in the gaming community. This is great if you have a CRT, but I have a 19" LCD which I love in every way except the image quality at 1024x768. I don't believe the problem is near as noticable on the 17" models, because I've heard 17" people being able to play at 1024x768 just fine.

I know this is a n00bish question, but is there any way for me to make a 19" LCD look better at 1024x768? Also, why is it that they look so bad if they aren't at their native resolution? Thanks for replies.

I'm not really a monitor GURU, so i don't really have too much information to offer. But, I never thought that the standard in gaming was 1024x768. I've always thought that the best resolution to run your monitor/display driver at was the monitors native resolution. As longs as your Videocard can keep up with it.

I've got the Viewsonic VX-924 19" LCD. I have the display driver set to 1280X1024 which is actually perfect all around for me. I just set it to 1024X768 and it looks terrible. So i can see your point. I'm not sure why.

A lot of people complain about running higher resolutions at desktop because it makes windows fonts too damn small. But you can change the font size from 96DPI to 120DPI. Which is what I have mine set to.

I hope someone has the answer for you, because I love to learn why.

Good Question!

I too use 1280x1024 for gaming, cause it looks better. I also use that res for web browsing/desktop etc. I can fit more on the screen which I like. I tried switchin the font size, like Havoc, but it bothered me....I dont think theres anyway to get 1024x768 to look better. I think you should try the native resolution for a while and I'll bet you get used to it and like it.

LCD's rely on interpolation to make smaller images fit into the area of the native resolution. If you map 1024x768 to a 1280x1024 screen it will be distorted because there is not a 1 to 1 mapping of pixels.

j4ckaL said:
LCD's rely on interpolation to make smaller images fit into the area of the native resolution. If you map 1024x768 to a 1280x1024 screen it will be distorted because there is not a 1 to 1 mapping of pixels.

oh, good info. I read that, but didn't wanna post it, cause like I said before, "i'm no monitor GURU."

HAVOC2k5 said:
oh, good info. I read that, but didn't wanna post it, cause like I said before, "i'm no monitor GURU."
WTF is your problem? Are you pissed cuz I told you off in that thread where you where going on about video cards and how you can't discuss them unless you own them? Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom