Justin Bieber Fans Vandalize Esperanza Spalding's Wikipedia Page - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Multimedia
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Justin Bieber Fans Vandalize Esperanza Spalding's Wikipedia Page

Quote:
After Justin Bieber failed to win a Grammy for Best New Artist, with the award instead going to Esperanza Spaldking, fans suffering from Bieber Fever took their virtual torches and pitchforks to Spalding's Wikipedia page and let their feelings be known, MSNBC reports. Hours later, it was filled with insults and death threats, including one entry which read, "Justin Bieber deserved it go die in a hole. Who the heck are you anyway?" We could care less about Justin Bieber or his perceived snub at the Grammys, but perhaps this latest tirade should have Wikipedia rethinking how it does things.

Wikipedia's greatest strength is at the same time it's greatest weakness. It's a social encyclopedia that relies on volunteers, and nearly all of its articles can be edited by anyone with an Internet connection and a keyboard. As a result, incidents like this one are inevitable. Or are they?

It would be incredibly challenging to police this sort of thing before it has a chance to happen, but one thing Wikipedia could do is lock certain pages during high profile events. In this case, Wikipedia could have padlocked the artists' pages who were up for a Grammy, or had a staffer monitor the pages in real time. On the flip side, doing so might just end up delaying the mob of angry fans.

Do you think Wikipedia should take more steps to curtail vandalism, or is it too difficult to police?
Source

Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Justin Bieber Fans Vandalize Esperanza Spalding's Wikipedia Page

why is it that people are complaining about someone's wiki page being spammed with hate when it was removed later. the same thing could be tweeted, or set as a facebook status, and there's no way to remove it, but the same people are able to see it (in the case of twitter). there's no way that you can tell which pages could be targeted, i mean did arcade fire's wiki page get vandalized by a bunch of angry eminem fans? not that i've heard of.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Spalding or Spaldking?

I think that this is one instance where corrective is better than preventative and that Wikipedia has got it right.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Meh I'm with Peter. Who cares? It was just removed later anyways. I can't get away with editing something small and funny into a page without being taken off within 5 minutes.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

yuck Justin Bieber
Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I am wondering why so many of his fans are so militant when it comes to stuff like this.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

because they're 13 year old girls who don't know any constructive way to voice their opinions.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Woah, I've never heard of anyone vandalizing a Wikipedia page before, or saying bad things about people on the internet! Those Bieber fans are crazy.

/sarcasm

This happens all the time from Sports teams, to Poltical figures, to celebrities and much more. I'm sure that the Justin Bieber's Wikipedia page gets vandalized all the time with various statements of the same nature.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

I knew this posting would be popular.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Reminds me of this...

Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
Closed Thread