Why Wi-Fi only tablets are rare: Brilliant iPad pricing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Why Wi-Fi only tablets are rare: Brilliant iPad pricing

Quote:
When Apple launched the iPad last year many were surprised at the aggressive pricing. This pricing strategy has proven to be brilliant, and forced competitors to look to carrier subsidies to get pricing low enough to generate sales. This is why we donít see too many Wi-Fi only tablets hitting store shelves even though most companies announce them at launch. The reality is they cannot sell them cheaply enough to both compete with the iPad and make a profit.

I am convinced this is why the Wi-Fi only model of the Samsung Galaxy Tab has yet to see the light of day. Samsung launched the 3G models first, to get carriers onboard with their subsidized pricing. The strategy worked for Samsung, with decent sales numbers as a result. But this created a bit of a dilemma for Samsung in regards to the Wi-Fi only model, as it canít sell them cheaply enough to seriously compete with the iPadís good pricing and still make a profit. This is why the Wi-Fi only model of the Galaxy Tab is nowhere to be found. The unit price would likely be way too high to compete with the iPad, and Samsung would be left with egg on its face.

This is why tablets being announced this week at the Mobile World Congress are too expensive to get consumerís dollars. Take away the carrier subsidy and these things are hundreds of dollars too high to generate a sales volume necessary to make a product successful. Tablet makers are between a rock and hard place, and they have been put there by a brilliant strategy by Apple.

Source

Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Why Wi-Fi only tablets are rare: Brilliant iPad pricing

Makes me wonder how Apple got the parts soo cheaply, you know, the cheaper something is, generally, the less quality there is, I still don't see why an IPad is so great compared to a generic tablet in the IT industry, great for a home user, sure, but, I would rather have something a little more open if I was doing anything.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
Makes me wonder how Apple got the parts soo cheaply, you know, the cheaper something is, generally, the less quality there is, I still don't see why an IPad is so great compared to a generic tablet in the IT industry, great for a home user, sure, but, I would rather have something a little more open if I was doing anything.
Volume, while lot's of manufactures buy one processor they don't buy them all at the same time Apple do so price goes down.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

They didn't use high end parts either. Most of the competing tablets use Tegra 2 or OMAP 4 dual cores with 1gb of ram while the iPad has a Cortex A8 single core with with 256mb of ram.

So far the Blackberry Playbook looks like it will be priced competitively with the iPad despite having vastly superior hardware.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Closed Thread