AT&T Plans to Acquire T-Mobile USA for $39 Billion - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: AT&T Plans to Acquire T-Mobile USA for $39 Billion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
So what if two companies control that. I remember back when AT&T was the only phone carrier for home phones. Then they got split to Bell South. The fact remains is there is still a choice. The customers dont have to stay with T-Mobile if the merger happens. They can go to Sprint or one of the other smaller companies. People here choose Cricket cause tbey live where they have coverage and they are cheaper than any provider.

As fa as the LTE someone better notify Verizon. I just saw the Thunderbolt commercial and guess what was at the end. The 4G LTE words and saying running on the 4G network. Strange how even the company that operates it calls it 4G. It is all over their website as well. First thing you see when you open their page or click on the Thunderbolt is 4G LTE every where. So i guess it is safe to call the LTE network 4G when the company that is providing it is.
Yes At&t was in this position before but the Feds broke them up into numerous pieces because of it. It just don't see why anyone would want a virtual duopoly in the mobile market. We have already seen that as soon as one carrier increases their prices or removes features the others are quick to follow suit and that will only get worse with only two real players in the market.

Also you are ignoring the fact that most of not all of those smaller carriers don't even have their own networks so they would be at the mercy of Verizon and AT&T when it comes to their products.

Colbert's rant about At&t being the T-1000 of corporations is dead on.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 03-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

to be honest it's way better to have 2 huge companies controlling the market. It gives them much more money and incentive to create newer and more innovative technologies. AT&T had it made with the Iphone, and they just kinda sat around on their subscribers and didn't do much to their network and look at where it got them. If people get fed up with verizon and at&t you've got 2 options, either suck it up and stick with them because they're better, or invest in a smaller company like sprint that will put your money towards research and backbone development.

also at&t and verizon (maybe sprint) are the only companies who realistically are going to want and be able to sink money into a fully fledged 4g and 5g network.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
to be honest it's way better to have 2 huge companies controlling the market. It gives them much more money and incentive to create newer and more innovative technologies. AT&T had it made with the Iphone, and they just kinda sat around on their subscribers and didn't do much to their network and look at where it got them. If people get fed up with verizon and at&t you've got 2 options, either suck it up and stick with them because they're better, or invest in a smaller company like sprint that will put your money towards research and backbone development.

also at&t and verizon (maybe sprint) are the only companies who realistically are going to want and be able to sink money into a fully fledged 4g and 5g network.
Or it makes it easy from them to jack up their prices since as long as the other company follows suit consumers don't have any other viable option.

In some areas Tmobile is already operating a 4g network that puts anything AT&T offers to shame.

OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Old 03-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

yeah but the government is pretty willing and able to step in on communications monopolies if it's becoming a problem. Plus look at the AMD / NVidia price fixing lawsuit, and being in a time where the communication industry is so heavily used if prices start creeping up to unreasonable levels I wouldn't think it would take long for there to be a step in.

And there are always land lines
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
yeah but the government is pretty willing and able to step in on communications monopolies if it's becoming a problem. Plus look at the AMD / NVidia price fixing lawsuit, and being in a time where the communication industry is so heavily used if prices start creeping up to unreasonable levels I wouldn't think it would take long for there to be a step in.

And there are always land lines
If the .gov doesn't prevent this merger they obviously don't give a crap about monopolies or competition in the communications industry, and this is coming from someone who is normally the last person to push for government involvement.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Sprint officially oposses AT&T's purchase of T-Mobile | Android Central

Not that it means a whole lot, nor is unexpected I would think.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Build Guru

I didn't read the whole convo but I will put my 2c in.

Verizon I had the most expensive bill ever and they screwed me over with said bill.
ATT had the worst CS, coverage, internet, ect.
T-Mobile so far has had the best coverage, CS, and cheapest bill with the best phone. I also live out in the country. With Verizon I would have to go to the end of my driveway to get signal. With ATT you got no signal (with the tower about 6 miles away), and with T-Mobile I have full bars inside my house anytime anywhere.

I might also add that with that much user hoggage the T-Mobile 4g network will get bogged down and it wont be as fast anymore sadly. Everyone with T-Mobile also expects a rate hike in which I will take off and get a go phone.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread