AT&T Plans to Acquire T-Mobile USA for $39 Billion - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: AT&T Plans to Acquire T-Mobile USA for $39 Billion

I guess you got lucky with ATT, overlord. My cousins had terrible service from them. One in particular, her phone, just, died. She calls up ATT. She has to buy a new phone, even though it was still under warranty.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlord20 View Post
I have always had great customer service and such with AT&T. My service is great (not quiet as good as verizon) in my area (northeast washington aka the woods). I think this will help T-Mobile, especially in more rural areas. T-Mobile can't get service 2 miles out of town here. And plus, those guys that work at the kiosks in the mall are annoying as ****. Gah, T-Mobile here blows, and Verizon is expensive as ****. I am excited for this.

As far as LTE.. Its not real 4G. I wish people would stop calling it that.
In my experiences with verizon it's cheaper than AT&T. And yeah tmobile sucks anywhere outside of cities. It had great service in burlington vt but once you got a mile or so outside the city service just tanked. Hopefully AT&T can use what T-mobile already has and equally use resources to improve the new whole AT&T brand. rather than just absorbing tmobile for added customer base..

and LTE is way faster than current 3g and it's slightly different than 3g so why not call it 4g. For most consumers for all intents and purposes it is 4g. Maybe a more accurate naming would be like 3Ga or like 3.1G but that's just adding unnecessary confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
I guess you got lucky with ATT, overlord. My cousins had terrible service from them. One in particular, her phone, just, died. She calls up ATT. She has to buy a new phone, even though it was still under warranty.
I paid for insurance ($4.00 a month) on my verizon phone, the touch screen broke, and it was the LG Versa which is 100% touch screen, took it in to get a new one, had to pay a $50 deductible. The phone was worth maybe $30 or $40 so it would have been cheaper to buy the phone brand new from them.. Sometimes you get lucky with customer service, sometimes you get pooped on.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Being someone who deals with Cell Phone sales and activation's, there is not a single company out there that is spectacular in that aspect. I have had junk service from T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon. I have had complaints about each and every service and i have had compliments about each and every service. It is exactly like saying Dell versus HP versus Toshiba.

No where did I say that one provider was superior than the other when it comes to customer service. I have dealt with them all and hung up the phone calling the person i just got done talking to and ID 10 T. So it happens every where.

So saying that it would bring the customer service level down, that might be in that area, but it is not national. Cause T-Mobile here stinks just as bad. The Reps that visit our store and work at the store near me dont have a clue about their plans let alone their service. So it isnt fair to judge the whole company off of 1 area in the nation.

@Puddle, I already shown at least 8 other companies that would still be left. How is there going to be any less? Around here we have an over abundance of carriers. Last i counted there was 10 that offered contracts. It wouldnt be a big hurt to lose one around here. Maybe not in all areas, but still there are options.

@Overlord, LTE is not 3G. While technically not 4G cause it doesnt use the H+ network it is still NOT 3G. So i wish people would stop trying to complicate things for those who dont know or frankly dont care that the LTE network is. So lets not over complicate things by calling it 3.1G cause no one would understand.

@MoM it isnt an AT&T thing. It doesnt matter if your phone is in warranty or not. If you dont pay for insurance, you have to pay to get it replaced. That is why it is called insurance. A Cell Phone warranty is much like a car warranty. While if you have your engine blow up they will replace it they will not replace your brakes. Was her phone in her pocket at all? Did she keep it at proper temps at all times? I mean who is to say that there wasnt any circumstance that you dont know about? People will say the most simplest of things just to try and pass the buck. Can you be sure with 110% that her phone just died and that it was used properly at all times and was never dropped or abused? If you cant then there is no way that you can say that the phone even qualifies for warranty replacement. Trying to pass it off as AT&T being mean doesnt do any good if you dont know all the facts and not just what you were told from a family member.

Case in point. Some one came by yesterday with a T-Mobile phone. It doesnt power on, it doesnt do anything. It is past our 15 day return policy. Open up the back cover and look at the SIM card, there are burn marks on it. The person misused the phone and caused an internal failure and burn out. Her story to us, it just stopped working. Why was this said? Just cause she knew that she couldnt cancel her policy and would have to pay full price for a phone now. When shown that they will have to spend a couple hundred dollars to replace a phone that cost them only a few cents with the contract, people will do whatever it takes so they dont have to pay.

Again as for the price thing, it is an area specific thing. Verizon and AT&T are about the same here. I say about not exactly the same!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

The service that I currently go through got bought by AT&T. I haven't had them for about 8 years or so, but when I did have them they were alright. I loved having Verizon, it seemed that almost anywhere I went I had service. Though the phone they told me was the best at the time was a complete pile of ****.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Techie

ITS NOT 4G.. 4G requires a 1gbit transfer rate. Who cares about complicating it? Most consumers don't care about it. If they did they would know what it is.

As far as warranties go.. They really only work if there is a manufacturer defect. I used to repair cell phones, and we could only return them if they passed a 25 point check list which most wouldn't. Insurance was $5 a month for me, but now that I have an iPhone I had to get 3rd party insurance and its $10 a month. That covers any defect or issue I have.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

@Mak - This is just what I heard her complaining about on facebook. I know nothing more. Just what she said.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If you have a T-mobile 3g phone it will become obsolete. They are replacing all of T-mobiles 3g hardware with AT&T's new LTE hardware on their towers. Great for current AT&T customers. T-mobile customers get screwed.

My buddy works for Verizion and you can still get grandfathered into an unlimited data plan on the 4g network with them. Means I'm getting rid of T-mobile. Going with the HTC thunderbolt! Never had a smart phone before!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
@Puddle, I already shown at least 8 other companies that would still be left. How is there going to be any less? Around here we have an over abundance of carriers. Last i counted there was 10 that offered contracts. It wouldnt be a big hurt to lose one around here. Maybe not in all areas, but still there are options.
Because if this merger goes through two carriers would control 80% of the U.S. wireless industry which is horrible for consumers.

As far as LTE is concerned it is actually 4g under the revised definition and is a massive improvement over HSDPA+ which AT&t is trying to pass of as 4g. Some of the speeds I have seen people getting with the Thunderbolt are absolutely amazing.

Personally the only reason I am on AT&t is because I am part of a family plan. Their data speed is average at best and even though my phone has HSUPA support(which AT&T normally disables even on 4g phones)

I had been wanting to switch to Tmobile but if this goes through I can guarantee my next phone will be on Verizon.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Quote:
AT&T is letting slip more details of their post-acquisition plans for T-Mobile as time goes on. Up on offer this evening is the degree to which T-Mobile's spectrum will be used for AT&T's 4G LTE network. The long and short of it is, that T-Mobile customers with 3G phones will need to replace those handsets in order to continue receiving data after the deal is done.

T-Mobile's AWS 3G cellular bands will become part of AT&T's LTE network. So all those towers running HSPA+ for Tmo, will move to 4G. AT&T was unclear on just how the transition to AT&T 3G would work for T-Mobile subscriber, or how fast the changeover would go. AT&T CE Ralph de la Vega said in an interview that the transition would be, "done over time, in a way that's good for customers and good for AT&T."

We're a little concerned about customers buying a phone from Tmo on a two year contract considering this news. It is possible that AT&T will simply offer a midrange phone to users for free when the time comes to flip the switch on T-Mobile towers. How do you think the changeover will go?

Source
Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

So what if two companies control that. I remember back when AT&T was the only phone carrier for home phones. Then they got split to Bell South. The fact remains is there is still a choice. The customers dont have to stay with T-Mobile if the merger happens. They can go to Sprint or one of the other smaller companies. People here choose Cricket cause tbey live where they have coverage and they are cheaper than any provider.

As fa as the LTE someone better notify Verizon. I just saw the Thunderbolt commercial and guess what was at the end. The 4G LTE words and saying running on the 4G network. Strange how even the company that operates it calls it 4G. It is all over their website as well. First thing you see when you open their page or click on the Thunderbolt is 4G LTE every where. So i guess it is safe to call the LTE network 4G when the company that is providing it is.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread