AT&T Plans to Acquire T-Mobile USA for $39 Billion - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default AT&T Plans to Acquire T-Mobile USA for $39 Billion

Quote:
If you thought the competitive landscape in the US wireless industry couldn’t get any worse, you’d be wrong. Today AT&T announced a landmark deal with Deusche Telekom AG to buy up T-Mobile USA for a whopping $39 billion dollars. The deal which works out to a mixture of cash and stock is being sold to the public as an attempt to improve the network quality for both carriers, while offering a “fast, efficient and certain solution to the impending exhaustion of wireless spectrum in certain markets”.

According to AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson the merger will have an immediate impact on the coverage enjoyed by customers of both networks, and will help significantly with the roll out of LTE network capabilities in the future. AT&T claims as a result of the merge, they foresee a future where more than 294 million people in the US have access to LTE high speed data networks as a result of the combined wireless spectrum of both providers.

It is unknown at this point if the U.S. Government will give its final blessing to the deal, and AT&T will need the FCC’s approval to gain access to T-Mobile’s spectrum licenses. Analysis with MarketWire expressed doubt that the deal would ever clear through all the regulatory red tape, and described the current US wireless market as already being “highly concentrated”.

Only time will tell if a merger between the two companies will ultimately benefit customers, but the combining of wireless spectrum’s isn’t totally unheard of. In Canada Bell Mobility and TELUS combined efforts to build out a nationwide 3G network to help share the cost, however in this case both companies remained independent, and continue to compete for customers.

What do you think? Will the merger be blocked? And if not, will this benefit AT&T or consumers? Let us know in the comments below.

Source

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: AT&T Plans to Acquire T-Mobile USA for $39 Billion

I dont get the opening comment. How could it get worse when you combine the the 2nd and 4th largest companies? This will boost AT&T membership by 30 Million or so and maybe even allow for them to bring back the Unlimited plan since they will have so much more income. This will also boost their signal in areas where it was formerly weak since it will acquire the T-Mobile network. The people on T-Mobile will get a big boost by now being able to use the AT&T network without roaming charges and give them more signal.

Not to mention the addition of as they said 294 million people having access to the LTE network. This is bad how? That is the 4G network. That means increased speeds for all of those people since AT&T announced that they will finish the plans for the LTE network instead of killing it off.

I really dont see why it is such a bad thing. Yeah it will make AT&T the largest. Yeah it reduces the competition by 1 company, but no one complained when Sprint bought Nextel. There is still Verizon, Sprint, Straight Talk, Virgin, Boost, Blue and how many others out there. Sorry but i can only see this as a win. AT&T will be getting more customers and it will only add to the draw if they bring back the full unlimited data plan since T-Mobile offers it now. I consider that a win.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Who's the top macho ATM? Verizon?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

probably verizon in terms of overall customer base, phone variety, and service coverage. AT&T will soon be moving up though with the customer base of tmobile. I always liked tmobile but their mediocre coverage in new england just made it a no brainer to go with verizon.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Verizon is the top dog customer base wise. Coverage wise it depends. Cause at&t has great coverage in areas that verizon doesnt and vicd versa. So certain areas are very biased oward one company or the other. Peter shows it well with his comment on tmobile. That is how it is everywhere. This will improve att.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The merger will be great for AT&T, but not for T-Mobile's customers. I can say that as I have been on the butt end of AT&T's lack of customer service and have seen their "network" in action. T-Mobile is way above AT&T on all counts save size, so this will just drag T-Mobile down to AT&T's depths.

Besides, my daughter works for T-Mobile and she is not happy about this AT ALL.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sucks... I'd hate to be in that situation..
Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

IMO the last thing we need is even less competition in the cell phone industry.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 03-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

FTW. Look at all the businesses that are clashing... Being that Verizon is getting rid of its ultimate plans, people would want to switch.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

I have always had great customer service and such with AT&T. My service is great (not quiet as good as verizon) in my area (northeast washington aka the woods). I think this will help T-Mobile, especially in more rural areas. T-Mobile can't get service 2 miles out of town here. And plus, those guys that work at the kiosks in the mall are annoying as ****. Gah, T-Mobile here blows, and Verizon is expensive as ****. I am excited for this.

As far as LTE.. Its not real 4G. I wish people would stop calling it that.

Closed Thread