Should Children be Allowed to Use Facebook? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Should Children be Allowed to Use Facebook?

Well, I would let them PLAY on the computer, but not online, not till they can comprehend things a bit better.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Facebook and any other social networking will not be something my daughter can use. Yeah, she's only 3 now, but still... I see all these **** television shows, like To Catch a Predator, and that's the biggest reason why. She will not be able to use any type of social website. If she wants to be social, I'll take her to a skate rink or the mall... I will supervise her as much as possible, as long as I am not invading on her own space. She can have all the friends in the world, but you can be **** sure I'll know how most of them are. I get ****ed when my sisters put their children on Facebook. One has a 7 year old on their, with his own Facebook, and the other has a 4 year old, with his own Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
the kiddies have My Space to socialize with...they should leave Facebook to the adults
No offense, but that is one of the most ignorant statements... The only reason why there are so many adults on Facebook now, is because the CHILDREN made it what it is today. If children were to migrate to MySpace, and the parents stayed on Facebook, do you know how many perverts (young and old) would be on MySpace?

Those creepy guys/gals and perverts don't go to skaterink A because it's a better place, it's because most people, and their "targets" are there...

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Old 05-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
The only reason why there are so many adults on Facebook now, is because the CHILDREN made it what it is today. If children were to migrate to MySpace, and the parents stayed on Facebook, do you know how many perverts (young and old) would be on MySpace?
well as much as I can recollect, My Space was first and it's loaded with kids then and today and yes...unfortunately the pervs do go to My space, the law goes their too to get these pervs. Facebook came out sometime after My space but I can not recall when or how much time gap there was back then. If you think you can control kids from the net, well ya better wake up, even most schools require kids use the net, and most parents can access grades from the schools servers too. You will have to eventually trust your kids someday and teaching them the proper way to use the net would be a good step in the right direction. I do or did have a My Space account at one time but then it was invaded by the kiddies, and I no longer go there. I now have a facebook account, although my wife is on facebook a lot more than I am, once in a great while I'll look it up, many adult friends, nice's and nephews...brothers and sisters....no kiddies. I prefer it to stay that way
Old 05-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BlackGA View Post
Facebook and any other social networking will not be something my daughter can use. Yeah, she's only 3 now, but still... I see all these **** television shows, like To Catch a Predator, and that's the biggest reason why. She will not be able to use any type of social website. If she wants to be social, I'll take her to a skate rink or the mall... I will supervise her as much as possible, as long as I am not invading on her own space. She can have all the friends in the world, but you can be **** sure I'll know how most of them are. I get ****ed when my sisters put their children on Facebook. One has a 7 year old on their, with his own Facebook, and the other has a 4 year old, with his own Facebook.

No offense, but that is one of the most ignorant statements... The only reason why there are so many adults on Facebook now, is because the CHILDREN made it what it is today. If children were to migrate to MySpace, and the parents stayed on Facebook, do you know how many perverts (young and old) would be on MySpace?

Those creepy guys/gals and perverts don't go to skaterink A because it's a better place, it's because most people, and their "targets" are there...
Not trying to be rude or anything but that is a very hypocritical statement in itself. If you are constantly there supervising then you are totally invading your childs space especially if they are a teenager. Your daughter will hate you for it. Also, I can assure you predators go to the skating rink constantly because parents just leave their tots there to do whatever like it's a day care and so it's a very easy target. I go to skating rinks alot because I like to skate and I see this all the time. Malls are less likely on the inside but if they are waiting for a ride on the outside (especially big malls with parking garages) then the kids can be an easy target there too. IMO the internet is the least likely place as long as the parent is responsible enough to monitor their actions because it's a great way to keep total control. Being there every minute of everyday will just **** them off. And as I was trying to say, this social networking fad probably wont even be around by the time our kids are teenagers (I'm having one in december, so I've been thinking of this stuff too).

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
And as I was trying to say, this social networking fad probably wont even be around by the time our kids are teenagers (I'm having one in december, so I've been thinking of this stuff too).
I find this highly unlikely. You must have something in mind that would cause people to all of a sudden stop using facebook?
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Old 05-30-2011, 03:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Facebook wont be around in another 18 or so years, not like it is now. Remember, MySpace was once as big as facebook, you saw what happened to myspace. Now, Facebook is doing what MySpace did, and it's turning people off and making them move to other sites.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

The questions is "Should Children be Allowed to Use Facebook?".

The answer is obvious, not only due to "Privacy issues".

You can turn on your Browser's Filters but then you won't be able to access the Site or you can turn them off and preview each Page before they look at it (so essentially an Adult is "using it" and letting the Child look, after the Adult checks each Page).

If the Child used the Site unsupervised it would only be a (short) matter of time before a Picture appeared that would not be appropriate (according to North American Laws) for a Child to view.

There are too many fake Accounts that are used for various purposes which change from seemingly innocent to most obvious in a click of a mouse. There are Sites specifically designed for Children where each Picture and Posting is screened by Humans prior to Publication; Facebook is not one of these Sites.

There is no reason to send your Children to MySpace (as Joe suggests) or "Joe C"'s Home as you can find People who make comments like his (not well thought out nor well backpedaled) at Bus Stops and Restrooms (and many other Public Places).

You need to supervise Children when they go out (or on the Internet which is the modern-day electronic equivalent). Similarly they ought not to be answering the Phone or the Door.

If you don't want to loose your Children (or Teenagers and even Adult Children) you need to play safely. Like the Adult who took his Child to a Gun Show and let him use a Machine Pistol - what happened there...

A "Child" is too young for the Internet (or to go outside (unsupervised) in the middle of the night).

http://img.tineye.com/result/adb2576...a2f274a8433fda Got a question, try the Search Bar.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I never suggested any body "send their kids" to my Space, please do not make up false allegations about my posts
Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid View Post
I find this highly unlikely. You must have something in mind that would cause people to all of a sudden stop using facebook?
What Cor said. Xanga was the big thing when I was in highschool (02-04) and then Myspace came out and I got one. Later on Xanga was lame and Myspace was the new fad within a few years. Facebook will have its downfall just like all the other social networking sites. You have to realize that I wont have to worry about this kinda stuff for another 5-10 years because my kid wont be born until December. In 6 months we will have new technology to further improve our computing experience so in 5-10 years everything will 90% guaranteed be different. (10 years ago having dial up or ISDN was a luxury to further prove my point).

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Troll Patrol

I'm the ONLY person that I know that doesn't use FB,

I could write a memoir about why it is the root of all evil in our society and supply plenty of factual supporting evidence for my claim.

However I'd just throw myself into a rage while having to think about it so I'll pass.

I will say this though, I know 4 real life friends who have either been fired from or passed over for a job because of their FB account. Be careful what you put on it.

Closed Thread