Should Children be Allowed to Use Facebook? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Should Children be Allowed to Use Facebook?

Quote:
Mark Zuckerberg, co-founder and chief executive officer of Facebook, feels that kids under the age of 13 should be able to use the social networking service. In all reality, pre-teens already flood Facebook, Zuckerberg just wants to make it official and said he plans to fight current regulation -- and specifically the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) -- that makes it illegal for children under 13 to join an online service which collects user information data.

"That will be a fight we take on at some point," Zuckerberg said, according to a report in International Business Times. "My philosophy is that for education you need to start at a really, really young age."

A recent online survery conducted by Liberty Mutual's Responsibility Project suggests Zuckerberg would have at least some parental support. The number of parents who say they would allow children 10-12 years old to join a social networking site like Facebook or MySpace doubled in the last year, even though it's not permitted under COPPA. The survey pinged 1,000 adults and 17 percent of those questioned said they would be just fine with their pre-teen using a social media site, compared to 8 percent a year ago.

Still, not everyone is on board with the idea, and some are questioning Zuckerberg's motives. The Senate Commerce Committee held a sitting last week and listened to a handful of comments accusing Zuckerberg of lacking social values.

"I think he was focused on how the business model would work... He wanted to make it bigger and faster and better than anybody else ever had," said Panel Chairman John D. Rockefeller.

Rockefeller accused Facebook of paying little attention to monitoring the billions of posts on the site, and that by allowing children to join, it would put them at risk of being exposed to sexual predators.

"I want you to defend your company here because I don't know how you can," the Senator said.

Source

Old 05-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Here is an idea. How about parents actually take some responsibility in their kids life? I mean seriously.

My child already is learning about the internet and what can be done and can't. I have also taken responsibility by making sure that my child can't get to such harmful sites on any device in my house. While she may not always he here, at least she will have learned what is acceptable and what to look out for by the time she is a teen.

It is something my parents couldn't do for me cause they didn't understand the technology. I know there is no way to prevent it at all times, but I can teach her to make the right choices. That is something that NO website can do. That is on the parents to actually be proactive in their child's life. Don't let Facebook do it all for you. Just cause you can do the act of sexual reproduction doesn't mean you neglect what comes out from such act.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Should Children be Allowed to Use Facebook?

I think you have to be a certain age to do certain thins on the internet. For instance, I'm so sick and tired of little kids playing games online talking trash and trying to cuss like a sailor. It makes me SMH.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

QFT.

However, just like I wouldn't let my 10 year old kid hang out with utter douches IRL I wouldn't want them associating with them online either. That being said, it'd be my responsibility to make sure that was the case. Like Mak ksod said, it's the parents who should take responsibility for their own kids not leave it up to the government to make up some idiotic blanket law.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
Here is an idea. How about parents actually take some responsibility in their kids life? I mean seriously.

My child already is learning about the internet and what can be done and can't. I have also taken responsibility by making sure that my child can't get to such harmful sites on any device in my house. While she may not always he here, at least she will have learned what is acceptable and what to look out for by the time she is a teen.

It is something my parents couldn't do for me cause they didn't understand the technology. I know there is no way to prevent it at all times, but I can teach her to make the right choices. That is something that NO website can do. That is on the parents to actually be proactive in their child's life. Don't let Facebook do it all for you. Just cause you can do the act of sexual reproduction doesn't mean you neglect what comes out from such act.
I agree completely, parents should be in control of such a thing.. it takes too much money and time to have a website control kids when the parents should be doing that..if i had a kid i would let them use Facebook but id be watching like a hawk.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

To many bad habbits can be learned off of Facebook so my kid probably wont be allowed on a site like that if there is such a fad then.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Well, theres always NeoPets. It's a cut down social network.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

the kiddies have My Space to socialize with...they should leave Facebook to the adults
Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If I had children, they would not be allowed near a computer till they are 12, even then, supervised till 16, and somewhat monitored till they move out.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Well, maybe put kids' games on there, but have it as a guest account, and disconnect the ethernet cord.