Retailers may soon use tagged Facebook photos to identify you in stores - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Retailers may soon use tagged Facebook photos to identify you in stores

A new tech startup that produces facial recognition camera systems tied to Facebook tagged photos, plans to offer the technology to more traditional physical stores so they could offer you appropriate deals as you enter their business. Thatís great for stores that want to have more targeted information about you, based on a bit of your history and likes. But what about privacy, what are the implications?

For now, you are not included in this scheme unless you opt in via Facebook to a third party service. The service would then present tailored deals to your mobile device when you enter an establishment using the technology (currently being tested in Tennessee). Facedeals, the provider, says this simply bolsters and leverages check-ins so that local businesses have more personal information, and by knowing and targeting the products they offer you based on your likes and preferences they can seem more relevant, like discounted or free drinks for using the service at a bar & grill.

But what if you havenít opted in to the service? Isnít it kind of creepy to know that cameras still look for a match, so the service will still ďautomagicallyĒ go through the process involving gathering data about you without your opt-in? Not to mention taking your picture without your permission (unless entering a retail establishment is taken to convey a form of permission). The system is obviously hoping its efforts will result in a matched face belonging to someone who has opted in. But if not, will it store the data for later use? Either way, it takes your picture, hoping for a possible match through data mining activity, without your consent.

This means that if Facedealsí (or similar startupsí) equipment gains traction in the market, we could be seeing very real steps toward scenarios portrayed in futuristic movies like Minority Report, where the Chief John Anderton character walks through a mall, and is greeted by avatars welcoming him by name into their store, complete with discount offers calculated from the collection of data they are able to garner about him from various sources.

More at the Source: BetaNews

Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Retailers may soon use tagged Facebook photos to identify you in stores

That's pretty creepy, definitely an infringement upon customer privacy in my opinion.

Though from a marketing perspective this strategy is interesting. Do you really think this is a viable option for businesses? It sounds like the cost to install a system like that would far outweigh the benefits it could provide.

It's a scary idea for sure...definitely going to be more careful what I post on my social media accounts now :P

ChuckNotNorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Retailers may soon use tagged Facebook photos to identify you in stores

it is not an infringement upon privacy if it's consensual. I think that's very innovative actually and i'm certainly interested in how that technology works.

You'll see It's consensual if you direct your attention to this stanza of the article:
"you are not included in this scheme unless you opt in via Facebook to a third party service. "
I am confused by the "for now" part. That implies Facebook and retail companies are attempting to invade your privacy on Facebook and seek out your personal information, which i highly doubt. However, i don't know about you but as soon as Facebook or any retail company does that to me i will file a lawsuit against the appropriate parties as it is definitely non-consensual if i have not opted to be included in the program.
PhantomGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

It's pretty creepy. Then again, I shop in some creepy places.

I can see this technology being used the other way to ID shoplifters, bank robbers, terrorist and pedophiles.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomGamer View Post
it is not an infringement upon privacy if it's consensual. I think that's very innovative actually and i'm certainly interested in how that technology works.

You'll see It's consensual if you direct your attention to this stanza of the article:
"you are not included in this scheme unless you opt in via Facebook to a third party service. "
I am confused by the "for now" part. That implies Facebook and retail companies are attempting to invade your privacy on Facebook and seek out your personal information, which i highly doubt. However, i don't know about you but as soon as Facebook or any retail company does that to me i will file a lawsuit against the appropriate parties as it is definitely non-consensual if i have not opted to be included in the program.
They will do it regardless of your consent so it's still a violation of privacy. I don't want a damn camera Googling my face when I walk in and I don't want my FB friends knowing every time I walk in to a Walmart either.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
They will do it regardless of your consent so it's still a violation of privacy. I don't want a damn camera Googling my face when I walk in and I don't want my FB friends knowing every time I walk in to a Walmart either.
I believe that'd be a very blatant and stupid violation of rights and no company would leap so far as to do that without being torn down by a ruthless group of hippies. I agree with you, i don't want facial recognition software tracking my expenses and sharing it with the world, but i don't think that would be the case unless i consented to the program which i will not be doing.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Let me put it this way, ever put your email address down to register for something? It was just sold to 3rd parties without you batting an eyelash in concern (whether you have a spam email or not). Same can be said for this.
They already film and record you without consent, you would be none the wiser if they ran this software in the background while you do your daily store activities. The only way this would even cause a stink is if the wrong people got a hold of what they were doing. Places like Walmart would stop doing it for a while then start back up again if it means profits in some way. If you think there isn't a bit of corruption in this world like this then that is extremely naive.
To further explain my point, if you are acting stupid or looking suspicious (even if you aren't doing anything wrong) Walmart has people that follow you. It's their secret security team that are in regular clothes and trained in loss prevention. Last time I checked, you didn't sign that consent form either. These people could be recording you in some fashion which is ALL a violation of privacy, except people are like I said none the wiser.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Creepy!
mcaustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Let me put it this way, ever put your email address down to register for something? It was just sold to 3rd parties without you batting an eyelash in concern (whether you have a spam email or not). Same can be said for this.
They already film and record you without consent, you would be none the wiser if they ran this software in the background while you do your daily store activities. The only way this would even cause a stink is if the wrong people got a hold of what they were doing. Places like Walmart would stop doing it for a while then start back up again if it means profits in some way. If you think there isn't a bit of corruption in this world like this then that is extremely naive.
To further explain my point, if you are acting stupid or looking suspicious (even if you aren't doing anything wrong) Walmart has people that follow you. It's their secret security team that are in regular clothes and trained in loss prevention. Last time I checked, you didn't sign that consent form either. These people could be recording you in some fashion which is ALL a violation of privacy, except people are like I said none the wiser.
That's all within the store's rights to do though. Running a program to get your personal information is not. Plus that's like saying "Oh i didn't opt in for this specific person to look at my facebook O.o that must be wrong!" no. Its within the parameters of the policy and terms of facebook that people can and will view your profile including strangers.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Which goes right along with, they can Google your face without you knowing and your consent. Sure, it's a violation of privacy, but it's no different than you Googling my real name and finding my Photobucket and Facebook. Technically the government already does this with stop light cameras and video feeds at stop lights and toll booths.

My point being, they will do it whether you want them to or not if they are given this kind of software.

Access to my Plex PM me.