Microsoft: 'Do the math' before you buy a Mac - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Microsoft: 'Do the math' before you buy a Mac

Ah yeah I remember that now, read about it a couple months ago.
4 years will be pushing it IMO, even if we're just talking battery spec. The MBP I had for a year started with ~7 hours usable operation, near the end I could maybe get through a movie but that's it. Under 2 hours for sure.

Thing is with "windows" laptops, you have to make informed purchases because there ARE a lot of bad models out there. Just because your mum went out and bought a bad one doesn't mean all are that bad. Grab yourself a model that people HERE would agree is a good one, have a play around. Guaranteed you won't have a 'terrible experience' or even a bad one. In fact, you might find you just might like it

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #22 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35g700 View Post
They did that because by making the battery internal they could have more space for the cells. They also made the cells square rather than cylindrical so that there wasn't as much wasted space.

It's really about opinion. I've had terrible experiences with my previous HP, and Compaq laptops along with the Dell laptops we had at school and my Mom's Toshiba laptop has also had issues too. So far I've had none of the issues with my MBP that I had with the other laptops I've used. As for speed, my MBP boots a lot faster than my desktop computer with an i5 750, faster RAM, and a faster HDD (and I don't have to reinstall Windows every 6 months when Windows really gets bloated). Sure it's slower than other computers when it comes to things like video conversion and whatnot, but IMO that's what desktops are for. I would have bought Windows laptop if I had had better luck with them, but so far I've had terrible luck. Maybe four or five years from now when my current MPB is too old I'll get a Windows laptop if they've got bigger trackpads and have made the DC jack similar/better than the magsafe jack. IMO $1100 isn't a bad price for a solid laptop that hasn't had any issues at all after 9 months of use and will last me at least 4 more years.
Making the battery internal clearly didn't help Macs much if laptops with regular removable batteries can easily beat their battery life.

I'd be willing to bet my Atom powered netbook running Windows 7 can boot faster than you Macbook.

I'm not arguing that HP's consumer laptops are good, in fact they are consistently the least reliable laptops on the market. That said how much those laptops suck has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of other windows laptops, particularly business class models which are in a whole different league. What you are essentially saying is that because you bought two blue cars, both Daewoo's, and they were unreliable it must mean that all blue cars are unreliable even ones from Lexus or BMW

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Thing is with "windows" laptops, you have to make informed purchases because there ARE a lot of bad models out there. Just because your mum went out and bought a bad one doesn't mean all are that bad. Grab yourself a model that people HERE would agree is a good one, have a play around. Guaranteed you won't have a 'terrible experience' or even a bad one. In fact, you might find you just might like it
Actually, there is not such thing as a "Windows laptop"... there are laptops with Windows installed on them. Microsoft doesn't make laptops (at least not yet anyway).

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Actually, there is not such thing as a "Windows laptop"... there are laptops with Windows installed on them. Microsoft doesn't make laptops (at least not yet anyway).
Exactly. Microsoft is not a manufacturer. They only supply the software to the companies. If Microsoft was like Apple, then none of the pre-built OEM companies would sell any that offer Linux.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Jumper View Post
Making the battery internal clearly didn't help Macs much if laptops with regular removable batteries can easily beat their battery life.

I'd be willing to bet my Atom powered netbook running Windows 7 can boot faster than you Macbook.

I'm not arguing that HP's consumer laptops are good, in fact they are consistently the least reliable laptops on the market. That said how much those laptops suck has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of other windows laptops, particularly business class models which are in a whole different league. What you are essentially saying is that because you bought two blue cars, both Daewoo's, and they were unreliable it must mean that all blue cars are unreliable even ones from Lexus or BMW

It wasn't just HP/Compaq though, I used Dell laptops quite a bit in school, the power supply on my Moms Toshiba Satellite broke, and after talking to my Dad about his ThinkPad that he got from his work I decided not to get one. During my Senior year in High School everyone got MacBooks, the lowest quality laptops that Apple makes and the only issue I had with it during the 10 months I used it was the crap that the School put on it. After taking Apple Tech, becoming an ACMT and working on Apple's laptops compared to other brands that I had worked on previously I decided to go with a MBP because it is a solid laptop, it has a better DC jack than other laptops I looked at, it has a more functional trackpad, and I can run OS X, Windows, and Linux on it. I can't run OS X (legally) on any Windows based laptop by any brand and I wasn't about to buy an iMac, or Mac Pro in order to keep up with Apple stuff to keep my ACMT. This MBP was the best fit for me and so far I've been more than satisfied with it. M aybe four or so years from now when it's time to upgrade I'll get an ASUS or ThinkPad laptop if they fit what I need.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Build Guru

I've noticed over the years that jack breakage is a matter of the care provided to the laptop. I have had many models that where supposedly prone to breakage but not once have I broken any part of a laptop. I have consistently had a laptop for 10 years now. (many different kinds)

You can run OSX in a VM with a Windows based laptop or PC. It is virtually the same thing. Ba dum ps

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

If I am not mistaken, you can get the OS X Developer Preview Kit and get a working OS X for PC directly from Apple to install it on your PC.

Plus the whole Cord thing. That is more user than anything. I have had the same laptop for 6 years now without a single problem with my Dell Insprion 1501 power connector.

Each person has their own opinion. That is the whole freaking point behind this whole thing. Is it worth it to YOU, the person buying the Mac, to spend the money compared to a normal PC? If the answer is yes then freaking do it.

Stop trying to defend the action and sway people to purchase a Mac when they might not have the funds to do so and getting a PC with Windows or Linux is the better solution. Not everyone has the $1,500 (Not exact price just an example) to throw around to spend on a MBP. Some of us live check to check and can only afford $400 on a Walmart Toshiba and even that is stretching it thin.

Let people make up their own mind. That is the whole point behind this. There is nothing wrong with showing the consumer that they can get a PC based Laptop for the same price or cheaper than a Mac Model. It is called smart shopping. Anyone with enough knowledge to know how to use the internet would be doing it anyways. Nothing wrong with having it centralized to 1 site. So what if it is from Microsoft. Bet you Google will come up with something similar to show how their CR-48 Laptops will be cheaper than both PC based and MB in the future to show why it is worth it to spend the money on the subscription.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Build Guru

Wish I could afford a 400 dollar Toshiba =D
If I could, then I would buy a carb rebuild kit, torque converter kit, and new windshield.

*Just being silly, don't pay attention to this*

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I never really take the comparisons seriously when it comes to mac vs pc. Both have pros and cons hardware wise, but in the end it comes down to the OS for me. I will pay more for a mac because its the OS that I prefer head over heals to windows. Computers are great, but its how you interact with them. Mac OS X fits me perfectly right out of the box and runs like a champ, stable and does what my workflow needs it to do. I use both Mac and Windows 7 (ultimate 64 bit loaded via bootcamp on my MacBook Pro running natively or virtualized). A bonus for a Mac right now is its the only computer that runs both OS X and Windows. You can do hacks and such to make a PC run OS X, but its not easy, and not supported and an update can kill it. At the end of the day you have to use whats best for you, its that simple. I dont care what you use, its not a religion, I dont go out and convert people, I do speak my mind if a friend asks me for advice, but other then that I am not the type to just who you are based on the computer you use.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
If I am not mistaken, you can get the OS X Developer Preview Kit and get a working OS X for PC directly from Apple to install it on your PC.

Plus the whole Cord thing. That is more user than anything. I have had the same laptop for 6 years now without a single problem with my Dell Insprion 1501 power connector.

Each person has their own opinion. That is the whole freaking point behind this whole thing. Is it worth it to YOU, the person buying the Mac, to spend the money compared to a normal PC? If the answer is yes then freaking do it.

Stop trying to defend the action and sway people to purchase a Mac when they might not have the funds to do so and getting a PC with Windows or Linux is the better solution. Not everyone has the $1,500 (Not exact price just an example) to throw around to spend on a MBP. Some of us live check to check and can only afford $400 on a Walmart Toshiba and even that is stretching it thin.

Let people make up their own mind. That is the whole point behind this. There is nothing wrong with showing the consumer that they can get a PC based Laptop for the same price or cheaper than a Mac Model. It is called smart shopping. Anyone with enough knowledge to know how to use the internet would be doing it anyways. Nothing wrong with having it centralized to 1 site. So what if it is from Microsoft. Bet you Google will come up with something similar to show how their CR-48 Laptops will be cheaper than both PC based and MB in the future to show why it is worth it to spend the money on the subscription.
No, the DC jack isn't the user's fault it's poor design. With my first laptop I'd plug it in and the cord may have a slight bend in it, but that shouldn't be enough to do any damage. My second one was always charged on a desk/table so there was no stress on the cable at all and the jack still got lose after general use.

And I'm not trying to sway anyone to buy a Mac I was just saying that when buying a laptop it's not always about specs, there are things that MacBook's have that you can't get with other laptops, like the bigger trackpad, and magsafe DJ jack. With laptops, just like anything else in this world you do get what you pay for.

Closed Thread