Microsoft claims more gains in IE 9 usage - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Microsoft claims more gains in IE 9 usage

As they always do at the beginning of each month, Microsoft updated its official Internet Explorer blog today with its claims about the user base for its web browser. According to Microsoft, Internet Explorer 9 users on Windows 7-based PCs now comprise 48.8 percent of the web browser market share in the US. Google's Chrome is second with 14.6 percent and Mozilla's Firefox is third with 11.6 percent.

Worldwide, Microsoft says IE 9's market share for Windows 7 PCs is set at 34.5 percent, compared to 21.2 percent for Chrome and 13.1 percent for Firefox.

Overall, Net Applications claims that IE 8 is still the most used web browser worldwide with 25.40 percent of the market share, followed by IE 9 with 15.17 percent. Chrome 17 is shown in third with 14.73 percent. However, Google recently updated Chrome to version 18. Firefox 10 is in fourth place with 7.79 percent. As with Chrome, Firefox was recently updated to version 11.

Microsoft announced a couple of weeks ago that it uses Net Applications as the basis for these monthly reports and claimed that a competitor, StatCounter, provided less accurate results. As we exclusively reported in March, StatCounter questioned many aspects of Microsoft's data and called their arguments against StatCounter "one-sided."

Source

Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Microsoft claims more gains in IE 9 usage

But according to indian cyber experts it is not true.CEO of Techacker Mr. Himanshu sharma says that internet explorer is losing its demand in the market. Microsoft's latest browser is faster, trimmer, more compliant with HTML5—a major improvement over its predecessor but chrome is much beter tahn IE. And the Founder of cyberpedia website Mr. Nitin Pandey said that Google's Chrome has steadily gained over the past year. He said that Chrome Instant means your Web page is ready to read before you finish typing the address. On top of this parlor trick, Chrome's speed, minimalist design, and advanced support for HTML5 have deservedly been attracting more and more users to the browser. It's dominance in JavaScript speed tests is waning though, and it still lacks tracking protection.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Chrome has tracking protection....
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
Chrome has tracking protection....
I'm fairly sure that google shares it's tracking on your chrome browser with it's advertisers
Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishcool View Post
But according to indian cyber experts it is not true.CEO of Techacker Mr. Himanshu sharma says that internet explorer is losing its demand in the market. Microsoft's latest browser is faster, trimmer, more compliant with HTML5—a major improvement over its predecessor but chrome is much beter tahn IE. And the Founder of cyberpedia website Mr. Nitin Pandey said that Google's Chrome has steadily gained over the past year. He said that Chrome Instant means your Web page is ready to read before you finish typing the address. On top of this parlor trick, Chrome's speed, minimalist design, and advanced support for HTML5 have deservedly been attracting more and more users to the browser. It's dominance in JavaScript speed tests is waning though, and it still lacks tracking protection.
Chrome is still far behind in browser share than IE overall. While it is gaining, and has surpassed Firefox, it has not reached the level of IE yet. People seem to forget that the average user that just goes out and buys a PC doesnt know of alternative browsers nor cares about them. Therefor what browser are these people using? That is right, IE.

So I could really care less what Indian scholars say or what their Wikipedia sites says. IE still has the majority of users world wide. End of story. Cause of people like my sister, my in laws and others who could expressly care less about browsers and what they offer and only care about clicking an icon and getting on the web. Therefor they use the 1 tool that comes preinstalled and they have used for years bundled with Windows. Internet Explorer.

It is the same world wide and that is why IE is still the leader of the pack. Not to mention this is well over a month old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
I'm fairly sure that google shares it's tracking on your chrome browser with it's advertisers
That can be stopped by the person to make sure that they dont allow tracking cookies or tracking at all within Chrome. I can bet you that my information is not shared, cause I have my options all set to off as well as remember my opt-outs installed to enforce the decision. All it takes is 2 minutes of a users time to prevent Chrome from tracking you. Cant share information if there is no information to share.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Like Mak said, most people just go to Best Buy and grab a PC, and use everything out of the box. Granted, while most users would agree that Firefox and Chrome are better than IE, the vast majority of users don't even know they exist, which is why they can't gain that big of a share.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I can't disagree with you Mak on shutting down the tracking (mostly because I do not use Chrome personally) and I have nothing against any body that wants to use it. I have heard many positive reviews and many folks like it.
How many peeps out there that do use Chrome and do not know or they are not tech savvy enough to even consider they are being tracked?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via MSN to Sheepykins

Quote:
Like Mak said, most people just go to Best Buy and grab a PC, and use everything out of the box. Granted, while most users would agree that Firefox and Chrome are better than IE, the vast majority of users don't even know they exist, which is why they can't gain that big of a share.
I must disagree, Windows 7 comes with a choice of browser installations and will ask you what you'd like to install on setup now.

What is the Browser Choice update? (KB976002) - Microsoft Windows

as long as you update the files as you install that is,

Quote:
Microsoft is providing the Browser Choice update to comply with a legal settlement with the European Commission. Microsoft is required to inform customers who currently use Internet Explorer as their default browser that there are other web browser choices available. You can use the Browser Choice update to select and install the web browser you want to use on your computer.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepykins View Post
I must disagree, Windows 7 comes with a choice of browser installations and will ask you what you'd like to install on setup now.

What is the Browser Choice update? (KB976002) - Microsoft Windows

as long as you update the files as you install that is,
Quote:
If you're using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, and you have your regional settings set to one of the following countries or regions, you’ll get the Browser Choice update through the Windows Update service:
Quote:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

Not in the US, bro.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Here's an interesting read on Chrome
Chrome beats Internet Explorer in global Web browser race | ZDNet

Closed Thread