Apple sues Samsung for 'copying' the iPhone and iPad - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Apple sues Samsung for 'copying' the iPhone and iPad

Yea not trying to start a debate or anything, but Apple is taking things a little to far. Besides, how many big companies have sued Apple for stealing almost everything, changing it just a tad, and calling it a new explosive mind blowing idea that changes the face of the Earth? The UI looks a little similar sure but nothing to sue over. If that be the case then Microsoft can sue Apple for having the same layout as Windows with a face change, or sue companies for having browsers that do the same thing with a different look.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

So... basically Apple is trying to say that if anyone makes a device that looks anything like one of their products then it is infringing? In that case every candy bar phone is infringing on the iPhone and every tablet that has ever been marketed in infringing on the iPad. If I were the judge I would ram this case back down Apple's throat and then charge them all the court costs for tying the courts up with this BS.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Reading the link, I have a feeling Apple products will be costing more.....

Samsung settles, pays to Apple, Samsung has increase costs... ups production costs of all Apple supplie components.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Apple has a contract with Samsung for something for the next five years - I doubt they'd be able to up the price very easily.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

The thing that gets me is this.

A.) Apple pays Samsung over $5 billion for the parts for their phones. Talk about bitting the hand that feeds you....
B.) I have seen some of the charges, a rectangle phone with rounded edges? Really? My Atrix is the same way are they going to sue Motorola next? Square Icons with rounded edges. Yup got that also on my Atrix. Funny how they are suing Samsung yet everything they claim is also on my Motorola phone as well. Interesting that they are only going after Samsung, the company who supplies them parts...

Sorry but while i can see the similarity, it is a look. Microsoft didnt sue Apple or Linux when they created icons that closely resemble that of Windows. Apple should be flattered and as far as im concerned, i hope they get their rear handed to them. It is a look, you cant patient a look. Every smart phone i have ever seen or used looks errly similar to that of the iPhone. At least every Android based one. WP7 and Blackberry are the only exception.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
rustle rustle

If you look at some of the comparison pictures here, the Samsung phone does look a lot like the iPhone with a few minor changes. I don't think that Apple should worry too much over it, everyone knows that rip offs are never as good as the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
BS. User interface? Android != iOS. That is a disgrace completely. Anytime somebody sees my phone they know instantly that is ISN'T an iPhone. The screen doesn't feel like piece of crap flexible plastic and it isn't as laggy or slow either. Whoever in Apple decided to sue Samsung under this BS needs to be punched in the face by both of my hands.
iPhone/iPod Touch screens aren't plastic. And how can you say that iOS is laggy? Whenever I use ANY android device weather its a tablet or phone the UI always seems choppy compared to that of my iPod and my iPod is old.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35g700 View Post
I don't think that Apple should worry too much over it, everyone knows that rip offs are never as good as the original.
Resisting... urge... to disagree... HRRRRRRFNNGGRGNGRaaaaah.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35g700 View Post
If you look at some of the comparison pictures here, the Samsung phone does look a lot like the iPhone with a few minor changes. I don't think that Apple should worry too much over it, everyone knows that rip offs are never as good as the original.
Yes but if you read the case, they specifically state the Galaxy S line. That line of phones doesnt have any buttons on the bottom. So how can Apple sue over stealing their look when that specific line of phones, and the Galaxy Tab dont have that Home button in the bottom middle???

This:

Does not look anything like this:

Nor does this:

Look like this:

Yeah they are both rounded rectangles. Yeah they both have white backs. OH NOES!! But none of the Galaxy S line phones nor the tab have the home button. Yet they are specifically stated in the lawsuit. Interesting how they are copies, yet they dont look exactly alike. The image you present, yes. But not the other devices presented in this case. They are not copies nor are they the same. They are similar in many ways, but as i already pointed out so is my Motorola Atrix and just about every other smart phone that sells on the market.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lady Techie

The international version has a physical button in the same place. Of course that doesn't explain why they're trying to sue the whole line...
And tbh, what with the different shape, no symbol on it, and the inclusion of two capacitive buttons next to it, I really don't see how they'll hold this side of the suit up.
My phone: (though I have a gelaskin skin on mine because I got sick of people saying "is that an iphone?!")

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 04-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

So they are suing over a different version than the one sold in the same country. The one place where their copyright laws would be upheld. That is just flat out stupid.

Still doesnt explain the Tab aspect. Cause the Galaxy Tab doesnt look like the iPad. If they are upset about the colors then they better line up Chevy next cause my car back in 1995 was 2 toned. Black on top and white on the bottom. OH NOES they copied the iPad color scheme!!

Closed Thread