56% of Americans have Internet data caps; FCC asked to investigate - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #21 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: 56% of Americans have Internet data caps; FCC asked to investigate

I don't know if I have a cap. If there is, I never hit it. We never got charged extra because of overage.

We have RoadRunner, 7Mbps line with power boost. Speedtest gives me 17Mbps down and 0.4Mbps up.
We pay $45 for it.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Techie

in my apartment building, in canada, i dont have a cap, and the most i got was around 17-18 down and 4-5 up.
I might be moving and one thing holding me back is that we do not have a lot of companies that give unlimited caps.
I have a teamspeak server that runs constantly and i want to try different wide access servers, which would be difficult with a cap

Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
... I have 1.5mbps with a 500mb cap, paying over $100 a month for it, and there ARE times I can feel the internet slowing down, but that is VERY rare. I can do a monthly cap in a few hours... So no, it isn't right, especially when it feels like companies are working together to force this on us.

3 miles down the road, everyone has 10+ mbps cable with tv and phone, here, no DSL, no cable, just phone lines, have to get satellite TV, and satellite internet, and pay $80 a MONTH for phone service, $40 a month for TV, and $100 a month for internet.

Many people here have brought it up to the local cable offices that we are all paying x3 as much as we should to other companies, why do they not run lines and get all that pretty money in a month easily? You can't tell me because they can't justify costs when 40+ house holds have AT LEAST one satellite tv package, and one satellite internet package.

In one month that's ~$8800 that we (everyone that has actually tried getting cable lines ran on this single road) are spending, when it could be half that, all going into a single company, so these companies must be working together on this bull crap.
I'm in the same situation here, no dsl, no cable available but I pay $160/month for my 1.5M connection. I wouldn't normally be able to justify spending that much but my employer reimburses me for it since I work from home.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
True Techie

If 56% of Americans have Data Caps then the ISPs have enough money to string some more Fiber. Caps and throttling are a rip.

It is more understandable with Cell Towers since the Cell companies have a requirement to ensure that the Phones work in case it is a 911 Call (which in these modern times the ISPs ought to consider for Internet usage also).

http://img.tineye.com/result/adb2576...a2f274a8433fda Got a question, try the Search Bar.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Stevo808

What are you guys using to monitor your traffic / caps with? I haven't really took notice of mines, but from what i found there is: Networx / Netflow analyzer 9 / and analog x netstat live. Would any of them do good? Thinking of trying out Networx when i get home.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Triforcer

In Canada, Rogers has a tracking system on their website that we use.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lord Techie

My ISP gives me a meter for the desktop, the modem also has a meter, and i can log into my isp account and view hourly stats.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Techie

I don't know if we have a cap, but we only get about 3mbps down and .6mbps up. I don't know how much we pay for it either, my dad won't tell me. >_> And apparently, on average, our ISP gives 5mbps down and 2mbps up according to speedtest.net. D:
Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Stevo808

Ill contact my ISP and see if they have something to monitor.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #30 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baez View Post
In Canada, Rogers has a tracking system on their website that we use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGodAL3X View Post
in my apartment building, in Canada, i don't have a cap, and the most i got was around 17-18 down and 4-5 up.
I might be moving and one thing holding me back is that we do not have a lot of companies that give unlimited caps.
I have a Teamspeak server that runs constantly and i want to try different wide access servers, which would be difficult with a cap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baez View Post
I'm capped at 125GB and haven't ever hit it so I don't mind. At 50Mbps down it is easy to get to for a family of 4+ but I'm not really able to hit it by myself.
It is not just about our own cap and throttle but that of the Route and Destination. If your bottlenecked or the otherend is 'deaf' nothing can help you; except a new Destination.

4+ up must be nice, I wish I had that.

We have 20 down .4 up (that we pay for) but we also have infinite-burst where you get half a second at the maximum; that means any (normal) Web Page will load fast as it can but prolonged usage will be slow. P2P from Oracle really flies like nothing else.

The neat thing about Speedtest is the puny Graph when it is running that shows the 'Instantaneous Rate'. Sometimes it shows me getting an 'infinite-burst' and sometimes there is a 'ramp that drops' other times it is 'peaks and valleys', it all depend on who I connect to and when.

This is as high as I can get them to claim my speed is (produce a 'Image Record') but there were a half dozen peaks that blew over 60. I wish I had ten times the upload speed so I do envy some of you.

http://img.tineye.com/result/adb2576...a2f274a8433fda Got a question, try the Search Bar.
Closed Thread