56% of Americans have Internet data caps; FCC asked to investigate - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > The Net
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Default 56% of Americans have Internet data caps; FCC asked to investigate

Quote:
Two prominent Washington DC tech policy groups have asked the Federal Communications Commission to investigate Internet data caps in the US—with a special focus on AT&T.

New America Foundation and Public Knowledge say in a letter (PDF) that data caps aren't necessarily a problem, but that they do “carry the omnipresent temptation to act in anticompetitive monopolistic ways.”

Quote:
Unlike competitors whose caps appear to be at least nominally linked to congestions during peak-use periods, AT&T seeks to convert caps into a profit center by charging additional fees to customers who exceed the cap. In addition to concerns raised by broadband caps generally, such a practice produces a perverse incentive for AT&T to avoid raising its caps even as its own capacity expands.
Source

I wish I could say I was surprised about that many being under download caps, but I can't. While it is nice that a couple of groups are asking for this to be looked into I can honestly say that I am not going to hold my breath.

Itis true that, currently, the US is not under the same kinds of caps as other countries (I am looking at certain Canadian and Australian ISPs) there is no solid reason for even having them... other than the ISPs want to squeeze out of us every penny they can.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 56% of Americans have Internet data caps; FCC asked to investigate

Caps started on my Internet a few days ago.. Brighthouse Cable doesn't have bandwidth caps and has a 60mbps connection here.. I'm going to switch soon

Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
There and Back again

There is only a finite amount of bandwidth out there, no matter what a person/company is willing to pay... My family and I have a 25MPS line that does us all just fine for now. Give it 6 months when I get back... hehehe

So I'm with you Trotter... Not holding my breath either...

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

We have standard service of 8Mbps here for 60$ including tax, and another ten dollars gets you 15Mbps... The article also calls to mind cell phones, some companies only have one price point @ unlimited. I read an article about 1 month ago I think on Fox News under the SciTech section that stated that AT&T was looking to cap the data usage on phones charging penalty fees for over usage. The article also cited some reasoning as the companies having interests in other markets i.e. home phones and cable tv. Both of which are suffering in this digital/cellular age. Netflix, VUDU and the like are taking to much money from the giants and they are finding other ways to penalize us for switching. So that begs the question for me, Did MaBell ever really go away?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

That wouldn't have hurt us when we had ATT DSL. We were told, that the reason we were getting slow speeds, a year into our 1.5Mbps plan, was because they changed there hardware. We could only get a 678Kbps line. But we have Time Warner (Roadrunner) now. At 7Mbps and power boost, who can complain?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

It would be nice to be cheated just a little less.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

i don't see the big problem with this. I understand completely why they have caps. the more people you have using up the backbone bandwidth the more robust you need to make it, and as that expands then you have to hire more people to maintain it, more specialized people to maintain it (fiber requires more specialized knowledge to handle and maintain than coax/copper) so their costs increase. So it's either you increase rates, or you institute a capped plan and have tiered plans. if you use up 500gb of bandwidth a month you shouldn't be paying the same amount as someone who uses 5gb. There are so many applicable analogies to why caps are a good thing. Like going to the doctors, if I have a broken arm I don't want to be forced to pay the same rate as someone who has to get a quadruple bypass, or if I'm staying in a hotel I don't wanna pay the same rate as someone staying in the Ritz for a motel 8 room. In our day to day life we accept the fact that you get what you pay for, and more is more, less is less, I don't see why people should think that internet access and even mobile data plans should be any different.

I do think that an unlimited access plan should be available, but I think that a tiered subscription is better than a flat access rate.

for c******'s sake it's a business, their goal is to make money not be a philanthropic entity.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A 250GB cap wouldn't be too bad, but a small one (like 15GB or less) could be rough... especially when you start counting things like streaming NetFlix and such. I regularly exceed 15-20GB a month and have been known to cap 100GB on many occasions.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 05-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've barely managed to stay under my 150GB cap for the last two months (They allow you to monitor before the cap starts)
January I used 440GB... The next two were around 145, just barely cutting it
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
Old 05-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I have Suddenlink cable. We do not have a cap, and my buddy (installation tech for Suddenlink) said he has yet to hear anything about a possible cap. My 10mbps connection led me to download ~130GB last month. Suddenlink did however call to "express their concern" that I may be infected with viruses and/or spyware 'cause I was using close to double the average bandwidth. I told them I used that bandwidth to download stuff, they said, "As long as you know you're the one using the bandwidth, alright." I love Suddenlink, but they need to up the speeds... 10mbps is the fastest here. I know they have the capabilities to upgrade, 'cause we're so close to the local backbone.

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Closed Thread