XBOX One HAS NO DRM!!!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Gaming
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default XBOX One HAS NO DRM!!!!

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Source: Microsoft

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: XBOX One HAS NO DRM!!!!

Makes the One a bit more enticing. Now, if we could only disable that camera / microphone...

Heck, lower it to $400 and remove the camera and I'd consider one.

Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Actually Microsoft has already confirmed that the Kinect can be disabled via the settings options. So much that it will not even be on in low power standby waiting for the "XBOX On" command.

Xbox One's Kinect Can Turn Off, Microsoft Says, Noting Privacy Worries

Quote:
In the Times article, I reported that Microsoft says the Kinect can be turned off. The entire console can be powered down. This might seem obvious to anyone familiar with how consumer electronics work, but... let's face facts...the Xbox One has seemed, for the past week, to be a tad different than the average piece of consumer electronics.

"Yes, you can turn the system completely off," the Microsoft rep said. "This would use no power and turn everything off. We’ll share more details about how it all works later." I believe this powering off involves the aforementioned power button.
So that is not a concern anymore either for those who have read up on the news articles being posted about the console. The DRM was the last hurtle for most and the biggest gripe for most. Now that the DRM is gone, Kinect can be disabled it will react just like the XBOX 360 in many ways and that should make people happy. But this is the internet after all, people will find something else to gripe about.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn

I had heard previously that the One will not be backwards-compatible with 360 games.

Do we know if the XBOX One will allow you to play 360 games that were purchased and downloaded from XBOX Live though?

Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

It won't be backwards compatible without some sort of emulation or streaming. This is because they are different architecture wise, so the games coded for the 360 won't work on One.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Microsoft has stated that you can plug your Xbox 360 into the Xbox One.

Seriously. They said that.
lacerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yevrag35 View Post
I had heard previously that the One will not be backwards-compatible with 360 games.

Do we know if the XBOX One will allow you to play 360 games that were purchased and downloaded from XBOX Live though?
Backward compatibility is not present on both the XBOX One as well as the PS4. They are both using x86 now instead of PowerPC like the Wii U. So no they will not be able to play any games from the previous systems. Both Sony and Microsoft have announced that even the online content will not carry over. The only thing that will is usernames and subscriptions. (XBOX Live and PS+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacerz View Post
Microsoft has stated that you can plug your Xbox 360 into the Xbox One.

Seriously. They said that.
Got a source for that one? I have not read that one yet.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
Backward compatibility is not present on both the XBOX One as well as the PS4. They are both using x86 now instead of PowerPC like the Wii U. So no they will not be able to play any games from the previous systems. Both Sony and Microsoft have announced that even the online content will not carry over. The only thing that will is usernames and subscriptions. (XBOX Live and PS+)

Got a source for that one? I have not read that one yet.
I read it as well, but can't remember where I saw it.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Well you can plug any HDMI device into the One.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I still don't like the idea of the Xbox One having so much entertainment stuff on it. It doesn't feel like a games console and it isn't designed for a gamer to use. I think that Microsoft, rather than try to innovate home entertainment should try and innovate gaming itself.

SouthParkFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xbox, xbox one, xbox1, xboxone