Xbox 360 Spring Update Reportedly Adds PayPal, New Disc Format Support Soon - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Gaming
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Xbox 360 Spring Update Reportedly Adds PayPal, New Disc Format Support Soon

Xbox 360 dashboard updates aren't quite the big event they used to be. The first details on the upcoming spring update have surfaced and it will not add the sort of major features we've seen in past updates. It will, however, be out before the end of the month and adds what's sure to be a useful new payment method for some users.
An alleged Microsoft employee has forwarded two images to Joystiq detailing the update's features, only one of which will be noticeable to users. Support for the new disc format (referred to as XGD3) that's been beta tested over the last month will be one of the two major features. The image confirms what the format reportedly adds: additional storage space and new safeguards against piracy. The new format will begin being used "in future game titles releasing later in 2011." The update will also allow users to use PayPal as a payment method on the Xbox Live Marketplace while also expanding PayPal "to new international markets."

These changes will be pushed out in six waves between May 19 and May 30. The reason for this method is "to ensure a high quality deployment." Previous updates were pushed out to all users at the same time.

A separate image shows that Avatar Kinect, the visual chatroom announced at CES which uses Avatars that mimic facial expressions captured through Kinect, will be released on May 27.

Xbox 360 just saw the addition of Hulu Plus late last month following the introduction of limited Kinect controls for Netflix.

Source

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Xbox 360 Spring Update Reportedly Adds PayPal, New Disc Format Support Soon

I already knew about the new format, and how it's been hacked already but Paypal I did not know. All I have to say, SWEET!!

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Yeah its not like the new format is a secret. It has been in the news for quite a while. I have been testing it with a custom copy of Reach.
Closed Thread