Wii Successor Lacks a Hard Drive, Includes 8GB Internal Storage - Report - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Gaming
Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Wii Successor Lacks a Hard Drive, Includes 8GB Internal Storage - Report

Nintendo will officially detail its successor to the Wii in just over a month's time at E3. In the meantime we have to continue parsing through rumors about every aspect of the system. The latest such report from Kotaku suggests Nintendo will again eschew hard drives with its new console and instead offer 8GB of internal, flash-based storage.

Needless to say, that's a pretty miniscule amount by today's standards. It's far greater than the Wii's 512MB of storage but with the new system looking like it might have a much more prominently-featured online component, that doesn't leave a great deal of room for larger digital games and downloadable content.

The Wii originally had no way to expand its storage offering which became an increasingly large problem as more and more Virtual Console and WiiWare games were released. It was adamant it would find a "better solution" than a hard drive add-on which turned out to be support for SD cards. That option will reportedly also be available when the Wii successor hits. It hardly seems like an ideal solution for a system coming out in 2012 when the competition currently sells systems equipped with 250GB-plus hard drives.
Other tidbits of note include the 25GB size of the Wii's new disc format (far outpacing the DVDs used by Xbox 360) and a potential 1080i resolution cap. It would seem like an odd choice to enter the realm of HD consoles and stop at 1080i as opposed to the 1080p resolution supported by both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but as with all of this other information, it remains to be seen if Nintendo changes its mind before launch. With a release likely still more than a year away, it's very much possible that changes could happen.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread